Posts in Uncategorized
11/11/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, November 11th, 2015

  • Icebreaker
    • Constituent Spotlights:
      • KSA
      • JSA
  • Announcements
    • APSC Elections, Candidates Meeting, APAHW
      • APSC Elections next week November 18th in Arch 109
        • Candidate Packet coming out tomorrow
      • Candidates Meeting
        • Meeting after GBM at 10
      • APAHW
        • Check out APAHW events!
  • Funding Apps
    • Sangam Chai House
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: $50
    • VSA Roll Royale
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Pushed back to next GBM
  • Discussion:
    • Constitutional Amendments (if everyone is present)
      • Push backed to before elections on Nov. 18th
  • Annual Report
  • Constituent Announcements
    • JSA
      • Board Interest Meeting: Sunday
    • SAS
      • Mentorship Event on Monday
      • Sexual Violence Conference on Friday
    • AKDPhi
      • 5K for breast cancer awareness
      • Sangam Chai House next Thurs.
    • PPA
      • Late night skating Friday
    • VSA
      • Late night skating Saturday at 11
      • Fundraising event
    • KSA
      • KPOP night this Friday at 7 in Arch Auditorium
      • Kimbap Roll making 3-5 Friday in LGBT center
    • LFE
      • Family Feud Nov. 21 3-5 PM Huntsman F85
    • CSA
      • Annual cultural show: 11/22
UncategorizedBoard APSC
10/28/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, October 28th, 2015

    • Icebreaker
      • Constituent Spotlights:
      • Next GBM:
        • KSA
        • JSA
        • SAS
    • Announcements
  • Funding Apps
    • PTS: Identity
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: $100
    • CSA: Dumpling Fest
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: $100
    • KSA: KPOP Night
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: $50
  • Guest Speaker:
    • Dr Giang Nguyen, Executive Director of Student Health Services
      • Feel free to ask him or a SHS representative to come lead a discussion in the future
  • Discussion: Constitutional Amendments
  • Constituent Announcements
    • KSA:
      • Downtown with Sigma tomorrow
    • HKSA
      • Movie Night next friday: free snacks
    • CSA
      • Freshmen Halloween carnival: friday 6:-8
      • Dumpling fest: Next week
    • Sigma
      • Downtown: tomorrow
    • JSA
      • Monday Nov 2 GBM
      • Annual Sushi night: Nov 7th
      • Nov 15th: prospective board meeting
    • Penn Q&A
      • Party Friday on 42nd and Spruce
    • SAS
      • Cultural show: Saturday 7:30 (11 acts)
      • After party: Halloween theme
    • PPA
      • Halo-Halloween at 2PM
      • GBM 8:00 PM Monday
    • PTS
      • Identity: November 5th 9PM-12PM
    • VSA
      • Nov 9: Last GBM 7:30 PM
    • Lambda
      • Party Friday
UncategorizedBoard APSC
APSC XXII Board Application: Now Live!

unnamed Founded in 1995, the Asian Pacific Student Coalition (APSC) exists as an alliance of Asian Pacific Islander (API) student groups at the University of Pennsylvania. The primary purpose of APSC is to voice, support and represent the common interests and concerns of the API community; to provide a forum for discussion, action, and exploration of issues of concern to students; and to present and to celebrate the richness of our diverse Asian Pacific cultures and backgrounds to the University community and beyond.

Our APSC XXII Executive Board Application can be now found on our website. Applications for the executive board are due Sunday, November 8th at 11:59pm and elections will be held the following week on Wednesday, November 18th at 7:30pm in ARCH 108. Please submit applications to chair@upennapsc.org.

UncategorizedBoard APSC
10/14/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, October 14th, 2015

  • Announcements
    • Board Elections Info Session, Mental Health Retreat (October 24th), Committees for APSC Formal, Lunch with a Senior, Weekly Constituent Spotlight
      • Board Elections Info Session
        • Next wednesday, 10/21, 8-9
        • Next Thursday, 10/22, 7-8
      • Mental Health Retreat
        • October 24th, want constituent groups to send one representative
      • APSC Formal
        • Recruiting for committees- email Sarah or Brandon
      • Lunch with a Senior
      • Constituent Spotlight
  • Hikaru Kozuma, Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs
    • AAU Campus Climate Survey
    • Jessica Mertz, VPUL, Penn Violence Prevention
  • Funding Apps
    • PennThai Horror Movie Night
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: 58
    • Sangam Chai Chat
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: 50
    • PPA Kamayan
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: 50
  • Constituent Announcements
    • AkDPhi
      • Friday, 6 PM Coffee House at Castle
      • Lots of food and raffles! Presales $8
    • PTS
      • Annual Bubble Tea Social (all you can drink)
        • 5:30-7 PM in Houston Hall
      • Taking submission for Art Gala
    • PPA
      • Kamayan, Saturday at 7PM
    • SAS
      • Volunteer opportunity
      • Cultural Show
        • Open App
    • HKSA
      • First Dim Sum Trip this Sunday at 11
    • Penn Thai
      • Movie Night: Horror Movie 8-9
      • In Harnwell Rooftop Lounge
    • KSA
      • Halloween Downtown on 10/29
      • Bae-YO
    • JSA
      • Annual Curry drive this Saturday
    • Sigma
      • Collab Party with KSA
    • Sangnam
      • Chai Chat next Thursday
    • Lambda
      • Philanthropy event, October 23 8-10 ARCH Auditorium
      • Tomorrowlambda, Thursday
    • VSA
      • Roll Night
UncategorizedBoard APSC
9/30/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, September 30th, 2015

 

  • Icebreaker
  • Introduction: New Freshman Liaisons
    • Luke and Michelle!
  • Announcements
    • Hari, Constituent Board Meeting Times, Board Elections (info session mid to late October),
    • Hari Kondabolu: Next Tuesday at 8 in Houston Hall (Class of ‘49)
  • Board Elections: November 18th
  • Funding Apps
    • aKDPhi Coffeehouse (October 18th)
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
      • Funded: $100
  • Discussion: What is PAACH?
    • Are you comfortable going to PAACH?
    • How were you introduced to PAACH?
    • What can we do to make PAACH more welcoming and inclusive?
    • Do you feel like you’ve found a community at or outside of PAACH?
  • Constituent Announcements
    • Lambda
      • sunday night 9:30/10 at their house
      • Family Feud Competition: October 23rd, 6-8
    • PPS
      • Saturday 11 AM in GRS
    • Hawaii Club
      • Sunday 9:30 High Rise
    • CSA
      • Tuesday 9-10 JMHH F94
    • MAP
      • Friday 6 PM
    • Sangnam
      • Friday at 6
    • KSA
      • Monday 10 PM Rodin
    • HKSA
      • 10 PM Monday
      • Sunday Bubble Tea Event
    • VSA
      • Monday 8 PM Harnwell
      • VSA Roll Night
    • PPA
      • Monday 8 PM Harnwell
      • GBM Paach this upcoming Monday at 8
    • Sigma Beta Rho
      • Friday 12 PM
    • SAS
      • Paach Ice Cream social
        • Friday
      • Cultural Show: Oct. 31
      • Sunday 11 PM 24 floor
    • SASE
      • Looking for board members
      • Sundays 5 pm Aashish’s room looool Harnwell something
    • PTS
      • Art for their Philanthropy Gala
      • Bubble Tea Social: Oct 16 5:30-7 Houston Class of ‘49; Big/Little Reveal
    • JSA
      • Sunday 1 in Harnwell
    • WAX
      • JMHH F88 Monday at 8
      • Recruiting Opportunity Event: JMHH 250 6-8
UncategorizedBoard APSC
9/16/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, September 16th, 2015

 

  • Icebreaker
  • Announcements
  • Funding Apps
    • Mid Autumn Festival ($150)
      • Presentation (2 min)
      • Motion for Q & A (2 min)
  • Discussion
    • The “Yellowface Poet”
      • http://therumpus.net/2015/09/yellowface-in-poetry/
      • Poet named Michael Derrick Hudson of Fort Wayne, Indiana submitted a poem titled “The Bees, the Flowers, Jesus, Ancient Tigers, Poseidon, Adam and Eve” under the pen name Yi-Fen Chou, and was published in the collection Best American Poetry 2015.
      • “Hudson, who is white, wrote in his bio for the anthology that he chose the Chinese-sounding nom de plume after “The Bees” was rejected by 40 different journals when submitted under his real name. He figured that the poem might have a better shot at publication if it was written by somebody else.”
      • “If this indeed is one of the best American poems of 2015, it took quite a bit of effort to get it into print, but I’m nothing if not persistent,” reads his unabashed explanation.
      • Poem makes one vague reference to Asian culture?

My life’s spent

running an inept tour for my own sad swindle of a vacation

until every goddamned thing’s reduced to botched captions

and dabs of misinformation in fractured,

not-quite-right English: Here sir, that’s the very place Jesus

wept. The Colosseum sprouts and blooms with leftover seeds

pooped by ancient tigers.

    • Questions
      • What are your initial reactions?
      • When is the use of pseudonyms or “pen names” in art acceptable? Is it acceptable in this case?
      • Do you think the idea of “artistic license” (Wikipedia: the distortion of fact, alteration of the conventions of grammar or language, or rewording of pre-existing text made by an artist in the name of art.)  is applicable to this scenario?
  • Constituent Announcements
    • SAS
      • Committee Apps out
      • Collab with other APSC groups for a study break (Chai Tea)
    • Penn Q&A
      • Looking for Communication Chair and Internal Chair
      • GBM in the next week
    • Asian Pacific Nursing Association
      • Adopting a Philanthropy (for Hep B and Liver Cancer)
    • PTS
      • Downtown with KSA, CSA, and AkDPhi on Friday at 11-2 AM
      • “Unleashed”
      • Gen Board Applications
      • Looking for Artists for their philanthropy gala (Isabel Zhu)
      • Chai Chat with Sangnam
    • CSA
      • Culture Show Auditions on Sunday and Monday
      • Last to sign up for Family Groups on Saturday
    • KSA
      • Next Saturday Family group event
UncategorizedBoard APSC
9/2/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015

  • Board Introductions (New Vice Chair of Communications!)
  • Icebreaker
  • Announcements
    • Viraj, Mid Autumn Festival, Lunch with a Senior, Budget, Freshmen Liaisons
    • Paach Open House- Sept 9th
    • Mid Autumn Festival
      • Volunteer
      • Date to be sent out in email
    • Lunch with a Senior
      • Seniors sign up!
    • Budget
      • For constituents: $550
      • Every group gets $25 for a collaboration
      • General body fund: $600
      • $25 with every event that you host with Paach (no limit, comes from general body fund)
      • Apply through common funding app
      • Open to the public
      • Has to have an apsc constituent group
    • Sept. 23- Collab with Vyrtex
      • Partnering in a discussion about how Asian Americans are portrayed in the Media
      • 6 PM (Free Food)
    • Freshmen Liaisons
      • Experience for freshmen to be a part of the APSC board
      • Nominate freshmen from your groups
  • Goals for the Year
    • Freshmen mixer with the 5B
      • 5B - APSC, Lambda, UMOJA, Latin@ Coalition, United Minorities Council
    • Updates on APA issues at GBMs
    • Making a sharable APSC calendar
    • Discussions at the end of meetings
    • Freshmen barbeque
    • APSC assassins
    • APSC basketball tournament
  • Funding Apps
    • None!
  • Constituent Announcements
  • Volunteer opportunity (Asian Arts Initiative)
    • Friday September 4th 6-7 PM
      • Opening reception
    • Saturday October 10th (Block Party)
  • JSA
    • First GBM tomorrow- 9 PM making rice balls
  • SAS
    • Downtown tomorrow at Aki Sushi
    • 10:30/11 PM
  • CSA
    • Chinatown trip this Sunday at 11 AM
    • First GBM next Sunday 6 PM
  • KSA
    • First GBM tomorrow with Bonchon
    • Party with CSA x PTS x AKDPhi - Unleashed - September 18th
  • Wharton Asia
    • Tues Sept 5th in Huntsman
    • Guest speakers: seniors with experience with recruiting in Asia
  • VSA
    • First GBM- Sept. 9
  • AKDPHi
    • Recruitment
    • Party collab
  • PPA
    • Monday Sept. 14 GBM in Paach
  • PTS
    • First GBM tomorrow
    • Party Collab
    • Special event: showcasing art by penn students
  • APANSA
    • GBM- September 8th
  • Sigma
    • Rush starts Friday at 7 PM
    • Downtown on Sept. 10 at loft bar
  • HKSA
    • Welcome back dinner tomorrow in the Radian (Han Dynasty)
    • Internship panels, study abroad panels
  • APSC Board Elections
    • November 18th, Wednesday
    • One year commitment  (Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior)
UncategorizedBoard APSC
3/15/15 Board Minutes

APSC XXI Board Meeting AgendaSunday, March 15, 2015. 5 PM EST. Rodin 104

Question: Favorite part of spring break?

Updates

Chair 5B Meeting Phi Delt/Greek Life University Council Interview ARCH Programming SFSAB Women’s Week DP Competition Get people to vote for us!! Mental Wellness Week PAACH Monthly Dinner 76ers SASAI Jennie and Brandon help POCO

Vice Chair Board Social Events Jin, Jennie - UMC Mixer Waiting on dates UPAAN Program is almost all set Multicultural Scholars Program Room reservations currently being made ASAM Meeting

Political University Council 5B: CDUS restructuring Mental Health Discussion Initiative 5B Zero Tolerance Policy UA Steering PVP Creating new student group with peer advisors to increase awareness TD Albert: start posting articles to facebook page again

Constituent APSC Dollars Lunch w/ a Senior Constituent Board Mixers PTS and PennThai had mixer Presidents dinner Will probably be around Spring Fling APSC Olympics Asian student union banquets idea

Finance T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions ARCH Programming Upcoming Funding Applications Penn Q&A - event during QPenn Penn Hawaii -Luau Sangam - Chai Chat Sigma Psi Zeta- Philanthropy Brunch Budget LEAP Finance

External APSC wide arts show 5B Speakeasy/Yellow Rage 76ers Asian Heritage NIght - March 30th TD Jin: Call Molly tomorrow Dan aka Dan Hype Collaboration Asian Arts Initiative

Communications Video Project Annual Report formatting Start closely documenting LEAP https://docs.google.com/a/upennapsc.org/document/d/1glJNPdVO8CT-B7nDgOcsiDk1kmwPa3DfyzdWcBiU7io/edit Website Updated contacts on website Branching out from APA community Reach out to DP about events DanakaDan will happen Person of the Week TD Lisa: post TD Lisa: send out TD’s

Discussion 76ers GBM Icebreaker TD Jennie and Brandon: Come up with an icebreaker Video Presentation Announcements DP Competition (Jin) DanakaDan (Sarah) AAI Poetry Slam (Sarah) 76ers (Brandon) Introduce LEAP (Albert) TD Albert: draft up email section to invite LEAP to gbm by 9pm In place of a LEAP meeting, we’d like to invite all of you to come to our biweekly APSC general body meeting. We’ll introduce you to representatives from all 22 of our constituent groups. You’ll also get to see how APSC brings our community together and funds our constituents. Overall, it should be a good learning experience if you are interested in getting involved in the Asian Pacific Islander community and meeting new people. It is this Wednesday, March 18th from 8pm - 9pm in ARCH 108 (the same building as Frontera and PAACH). Hope to see you all there! Funding Apps Penn Q&A - Kay Barrett Presentation (2 min) Motion for Q & A (2 min) Penn Hawaii -Luau Presentation (2 min) Motion for Q & A (2 min) Sangam - Chai Chat Presentation (2 min) Motion for Q & A (2 min) Sigma Psi Zeta- Philanthropy Brunch Presentation (2 min) Motion for Q & A (2 min) TD Lawrence: Make stat sheets for the funding apps Constituent group announcments LEAP (Leadership in Events and Programming)

Board Liaisons TD Brandon: Send board instructions on what kind of email to send to our respective constituent groups, possibly include something about 76ers? Friendly Competition

UncategorizedBoard APSC
2/22/15 Board Meeting Minutes

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, February 22, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Harrison 17th Floor Lounge

Updates

 

Chair

    • 5B Meeting
    • ASAM
    • Phi Delt/Greek Life
    • University Council Interview
      • Next weekend, board needs to show up for a 30 minute interview
      • Time TBA
    • UC Financial Aid
      • Brought up at UC meeting, asked those who have had problems with financial aid stand up
    • ARCH Programming
    • SFSAB
    • Women’s Week
      • APSC will help market Jessica Williams
    • DP Competition
    • Mental Wellness Week
    • VPUL
      • Trying to get support for the Greek like cultural stuff
    • PAACH Monthly Dinner
    • 76ers
      • Probably will not be confined to a minimum number of tickets

 

  • TD Jin: Bring it up at the next GBM

 

    • DP Meeting
      • Offered to cover our events

 

  • TD Jin: Give Lisa contact information

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Social Events

 

  • TD Everyone: Fill out exam schedule
  • TD Jennie: Set up a date for board dinner

 

      • UMC mixer
    • Board Gear
    • PAACH Anniversary Recap

 

  • 43 students, 7 faculty
  • TD Lisa: Ask Amanda Martinez for photos
  • TD Jennie: Finish filling out funding

 

  • UPAAN
    • Problem with the website
  • Multicultural Scholars Program
    • Mondays 5-6, Jennie will meet with those who organize Quaker Days
    • Looking for ideas for Quaker Days

 

Political

    • University Council

 

  • TD Albert: Talk to Mithin and set up a presentation

 

    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
      • Survey is done and will appear in Penn Course Review for Spring 2015
      • Decided to improve the diversity requirement

 

  • TD Albert: Fill out the CDUS thing

 

  • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
  • UA Steering

 

Constituent

    • APSC Dollars
    • Lunch w/ a Senior
    • Constituent Board Mixers
      • Not enough constituents are signing up
      • CSA and SAS needs to be rescheduled

 

  • TD Brandon: Send out email to reschedule

 

    • Presidents dinner
      • Weekend after spring break tentatively

 

  • TD Brandon: Send email out to presidents to get their input

 

  • APSC Olympics
    • Around Spring Fling
  • PAACH Happy Hour
    • Wednesday 8-9 on off days or Fridays 12-1

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • Budget
      • DFD Awkwafina Recap

 

  • TD Lawrence + Lisa: Meet with Peter and Kusum about funding stuff

 

  • Mental Wellness Week
    • Saturday event is Active Minds Inspire, so if we are to have a Speakeasy then we should combine it with this event
    • Combine Mental Health Discussion Initiative event with this

 

External

    • APSC wide arts show
      • Maybe move date to Sunday

 

  • TD Sarah: Look for Sunday venues

 

    • 5B Speakeasy/Yellow Rage
      • Mental Wellness Week collab event would be on the 4th which is too close to DanakaDan
      • Thinking of separating event from the Mental Wellness Week

 

  • TD Sarah: Reach out to the rest of 5B members

 

  • DFD/Awkwafina - Feb. 19th at 8pm
    • Success!
  • 76ers Asian Heritage NIght - March 30th
  • Dan aka Dan
    • Contract still in process
    • Venue booked
  • Hype Collaboration
  • Asian Arts Initiave
    • Got flyers, will put them in PAACH

 

Communications

  • Video Project
  • Annual Report formatting
    • Website

 

  • TD Lisa: Update board contacts and internship opportunities

 

    • Branching out from APA community

 

  • TD Albert: Talk to friend Daniel about it

 

  • Reach out to DP about events
  • Person of the Week

 

Discussion

 

  • TD Lisa: Update LEAP Google Group

 

  • Board Liaisons
2/8/14 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, February 8, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Harrison 16th Floor Lounge

 

Short Meeting!

 

Updates

 

Chair

    • 5B Meeting
      • Talked about meeting planned for Thursday, still trying to fix NEC seat problem
      • GAPSA voted on 2 graduate seats as opposed to 2 undergraduate seats
      • Want more minority representation on UA, encourage people to apply!
    • ASAM
    • Phi Delt/Greek Life
      • Meeting on Thursday 7pm to discuss agenda
    • University Council Application
      • Due on Feb. 20th
      • Need to apply for UC seat
    • ARCH Programming
      • Still waiting on a meeting time
    • SFSAB
    • Opener for DFD/Awkwafina

 

  • TD Jin: Email him back telling him we already got Freaks of the Beat

 

    • Another API artist
    • Fresh Off the Boat Viewings
      • Airing 8pm every Tuesday
        • Use the time for PAACH event funding
      • Watch it in PAACH!!

 

  • TD Jin: Make FB event for Fresh Off the Boat weekly viewings

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Social Events
      • Go to more shows together
        • Pan-Asian Dance Troupe show this Friday!
    • Board Gear

 

  • TD Jennie: Check status of the order

 

    • PAACH Anniversary
      • Need list of questions to ask panelists (3-4)
        • How did the presence of PAACH transform the social climate of Penn in regards to the treatment of the API community?
        • How has your experience at Penn influenced you on a more personal level?
        • What is your favorite memory of college?
        • Has your perspective of API related issues changed after your experience in career life?
        • What/Who inspired you to be who you are today?
      • Dinner with panelists afterwards, let Jennie know if you can go

 

  • TD Jennie: Make FB event

 

  • UPAAN
    • Gather list of students willing to participate
  • Lunar New Year
    • APSC and PEER hosting casual  event from 12-2 at PAACH

 

Political

  • University Council
    • Seat change rejected, Mithin still holds the seat
  • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Almost finished, questions revised and sent to administrators
    • Course evaluation questions will be added
  • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
    • Meeting today
  • UA Steering
  • Meetings with presidents

 

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • CSA & SAS paired up
  • Figuring out Board transitions
  • Presidents dinner
  • APSC Olympics
  • PAACH Happy Hour?

 

Finance

  • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
    • $320 for PAACHing History food
    • $2000 for SPEC Fully Planned for DFD
  • Upcoming Funding Applications
  • Budget
  • CAPE Budget
    • $250 acquired, will probably go towards constituent fund

 

External

    • APSC wide arts show
      • Talked to PAC about equipment, but each constituent group only gets a certain number of allowances and we’ve already used them
      • We can rent though

 

  • TD Sarah: Find a venue and reach out to groups

 

    • Penn Fashion Week
      • March 21st speaker event
    • 5B Speakeasy
      • Beginning of mental health wellness week
      • Thinking of having guest speakers
      • Market it as express yourself in healthy ways
      • Looking for venue
      • Thinking of collaborating with Sangam, Penn Initiative on Minority Mental Health
    • Yellow Rage
      • Meeting Michelle on Friday, asking her to speak at 5B Speakeasy
    • DFD/Awkwafina - Feb. 19th at 8pm
      • PCUW will collab
      • Spectrum is supposed to be in charge of ticket shifts
      • Sponsors
        • Google spreadsheet created with all possible sponsors, pay for ads depending on size

 

  • TD Sarah: Divide up possible sponsors for board to contact and write up a short pitch

 

    • 76ers Asian Heritage NIght - March 30th
      • Need to figure out how many tickets we want
        • Probably around 50 (40 @ $22, 10 @ $35)
    • Dan aka Dan
      • April 5th tentatively
      • Settled on $700 + $500 travel expenses
      • Concerns about the turnout

 

  • TD Sarah: Email Kollaboration and Dan aka Dan

 

    • Hype Collaboration
      • Bringing in a dancer on March 21st -Bam Martin, free admission - meet&greet, dance workshop, Q&A
      • Want us to help market, fund

 

  • TD Sarah: Email them back and tell them we can’t fund but we can help market

 

 

Communications

    • Video Project
    • ECAASU
      • 7 attendees, renting car, still figuring out if we need a hotel

 

  • TD Jin: Send Lisa list of what to do as a leader of a delegation

 

  • Annual Report formatting
  • Website
  • Branching out from APA community

 

Discussion

 

  • TD Sarah: Start a doc laying out details of LEAP
  • TD Albert: Send email to LEAP applicants asking when they’ll be free for 30 min interview Sunday, February 15th and Monday, February 16th

 

    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER
    • APSC Person of the Week

 

  • TD Lisa: Post on Monday

 

  • Ferguson
    • Follow up
UncategorizedBoard APSC
2/4/15 GBM Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

 

Icebreaker

 

  • http://abc.go.com/shows/fresh-off-the-boat/video/most-recent/VDKA0_tcsri8ux

 

 

Guest Speakers

  • Viraj (PAACH)
    • Patch for PAACH - bring in a patch of fabric that will be developed into a quilt, accepted until further notice
    • Video project contest for 15th Year Anniversary - deadline: end of February
  • Mikie (Nominations and Elections Committee)
    • Currently accepting applications for University Council seats, accepting 9-12 underrepresented groups
    • penn-nec.org, due Feb. 20th
  • Thomas (Fossil Free Penn) (vote)
    • Referendum to ask Penn for divestment of fossil fuel and reinvestment of fuels for alternative and clean energy

→ APSC will sign onto the referendum

 

Constituent Group Announcements

 

  • PTS

 

    • Brunch - Sunday 11am - 1pm 11th floor Radian lounge
    • ITASA conference- registration for Penn students $25 w/o banquet, $50 w/ banquet
      • Comes around only about once in 7 years
      • Keynote by Bing Chen, Stephanie Chang, Tim Ouyang, etc
  • JSA
    • First GBM today
  • VSA
    • Tet celebration
  • PPA
    • First GBM tomorrow
  • KSA
    • collab event with PTS fried chicken event
    • VDay blind date, check the FB event
  • SAS
    • Wednesday, 6-7 speed dating Rodin underground
    • Feb 20th, event with LGBT, Rodin Rooftop
  • Sangam
    • First Chai Chat -Feb. 12th -The Language of Love
  • CSA
    • Rose sale, variety of products + delivery, order form closes on Feb 11
  • APANSA
    • GBM next Monday
  • Penn Thai
    • Annual Thai Night coming soon!
  • PAACH
    • 15th year anniversary!! Lunar Year Celebration and PAACHing history panel
  • SASE
    • Recruiting for general board, GBM tomorrow 6pm (check FB)

 

Announcements

    • ECAASU
      • Feb 20 - 22th, sign up by tonight!
    • Dumbfoundead & Awkwafina
      • Feb 19th, tickets are limited!! $8 presale, $10 at the door
      • Looking for student group opener
    • Asian Arts Initiative
      • Open House on Friday 6-8pm
    • LEAP Nominations
      • Leadership in Events and Programming
      • Nominate freshmen! Send them to Albert - political@upennapsc.org
    • Funding Seminar Reminder
    • 76ers Night (vote) March 30th
      • option 1: 175 tickets @ $22 200 level rows, quarter court, 75 @ $35, includes playing on the court and high five tunnel for 20 people
      • 90 tickets 50 @ $22, 40 @ $35, no court but tunnel

 

  • less than 90, can drop tickets but no court playing and no tunnel

 

    • don’t do it

 

Funding Applications

  • Sangam Chai Chat
    • Presentation (2 min)
    • Q & A (2 min)
    • Deliberations (3 min)

→ awarded $100

  • PTS/CSA Lunar New Year Celebration
    • Presentation (2 min)
    • Q & A (2 min)
    • Deliberations (3 min)

→ awarded $50

UncategorizedBoard APSC
Town Hall 2015 Minutes

  APSC Town Hall 2015

Agenda:

 

Introductions

Questions

Open Forum

 

Questions

 

Chair

  1. What is the current state of our coalition? Are we strong? Is it disjointed?
    1. What can we do to unify ourselves?

Strong coalition - People are genuinely interested and caring at GBM’s

Addition of more groups - More would dilute funding, and we want groups to have a unique vision that would add to APSC

 

  • Cap? Currently we don’t think we need to worry about having a cap. Concerns: More groups would cause the coalition to become weaker

 

Presidents BYO - Tentatively planned for some time around Spring Fling

Unclear what APSC is here for: Some may think of it as just a means of funding, this turns it into somewhat of a competition

  1. Why is APSC relevant to your group?

Announcements at GBMs about initiatives that APSC is working on behind the scenes

Beneficial if we could tell constituents how they could also get involved in initiatives, i.e 5B initiatives, mental health initiatives

 

  • Could help with marketing and spreading awareness

 

  1. How do we ensure that constituents pass down the information to their board members from GBMs? (e.g. if we have a discussion, can we continue the conversation?)
  2. How do your groups utilize PAACH?

Vice Chair

    1. What is your general opinion about APSC GBMs?
      1. How do you feel about the content and how GBMs are led?

 

  • UMC and APSC meetings on the same day
  • Coordinate with board members to make it to both
  • Rooms already reserved for this semester, difficult to change

 

  1. Time of GBM’s

 

  • Popular time for LPS classes

 

iii. Constituent group announcements feel rushed

  1. Discussions

 

  • Depends on whether or not the discussion topic is time-sensitive
  • Current event updates that are relevant to the APA community

 

  1. Funding apps

 

  • Online funding apps and deliberations probably won’t work
  • Getting through them too slowly, not a great use of time
  • More clear set of parameters on how amount suggestions should be made
  • Maybe finance chair should set guidelines since they are more educated and experienced, let constituents know how much similar events have been funded in the past
  • After constituent group gives presentation, finance chair offers his own opinion and provides more information on how much other funding boards will provide
  • Finance chair comes up with 3 suggested amounts
  • Concern: People would tend to go along with whatever finance chair even if his judgement is flawed
  • Concern: Would have to amend the Constitution
  • Implementing time limits

 

      1. Do you have anything you would like to see further covered in GBMs?
    1. How do constituents feel about their relationship with APSC board?
      1. How open do constituents feel about reaching out to board members with questions/concerns?

 

  • More individual meetings with board members
  • Makes it easier for constituents to voice their thoughts
  • Coming out to constituent events means a lot

 

    1. 3. How transparent is APSC about their projects/initiatives?

 

  • Announce initiatives at GBM’s and let constituents know how they can get involved

 

Political:

    1. Is your board or constituency interested in political programming? How can APSC contribute and/or support that?
      1. If not, would your board or constituency be interested in supporting programming that APSC will spearhead?
      2. What issues apply to constituent groups and  APSC as a whole?

 

  • APSC calendar has all the constituent events

 

    1. How effective do you think discussion forums are in terms of political issues? How can we get people involved in doing something about issues rather than just talking about it?

 

  • What do these discussions achieve?
  • Constituents can exchange opinions and ideas and possibly bring interesting points back to their group
  • Discussions should be open to everyone
  • Compared to Sangam Chai Chats
  • Participants at APSC GBM’s are representing their groups, it was harder to speak as themselves - makes it slightly uncomfortable
  • Difficult to delve deeper into discussions due to the time crunch
  • Make it more informative, lay down the facts instead of making it seem like APSC thinks this is how you should feel
  • Depends on topic, sometimes informative style can be dull, not as engaging

 

    1. Would your group be interested in participating more with the 5B Minority Coalitions?

 

  • Yes
  • Yes, but also more collaboration within APSC

 

Constituent

    1. Would the constituents like to see more socials between constituent groups or would it be better for APSC to only encourage, but not facilitate those interactions?

 

  • Liked 3 on 3 Mixers
  • Constituent Mixers
  • Constituents have pretty packed schedules, maybe consider more casual events like chilling in PAACH
  • Timing is important
  • Don’t do it during times when boards are transitioning, it was weird mixing with a different group when people within the group didn’t even know each other very well
  • Start a spreadsheet to see when people are available
  • Have a set date and location and ask people whether they can make it or not and make reservation accordingly

 

    1. What types of events or programs would you like to see more...or less?

 

  • Events that don’t require that much work, more casual
  • BYO bowling or ice skating

 

  1. How can APSC be more inclusive of smaller constituent groups?

Finance

    1. Do you feel like your funding concerns are addressed?
      1. Do you believe the voting procedures, in general, are fair and are able to effectively represent everyone’s opinion?

 

  • Difficult to have events at PAACH because it doesn’t open on the weekends
  • PAACH guaranteed funding - Goal is to encourage small events like hangouts
  • Exposure for PAACH could be from light constituent programming - separate funding may not be necessary
  • if nobody uses the funds it will move back Mar 18

 

 

      1. Did a funding app ever get rejected/partially funded that you thought was reasonable and should’ve gone through (through ICF/T-change as well)
      2. What do you think of the new funding scheme (550 for collabs, 250 for PAACH events, 1000 general body fund)?
      3. Comments on GBM

 

  • People not open to shout out amounts - writing it down
  • How people plan budgets/funding apps
  • People smart enough to figure the budget out/ already look at the funding
  • Can we be more efficient?
  • Groups don’t know what other groups are asking for funding
  • Agenda will be used to show which groups are asking for funding
  • Feb 4 - Finance seminar at 9
  • Lawrence - look into funding other 5B get

 

 

External

    1. Is your board or constituency interested in participating with API groups on other campuses?
      1. Speaker events, cultural events, socials
        1. Would you prefer if we facilitated/initiated the interactions or would your group prefer to handle the logistics?
    2. What kinds of collaborations would you like to see with local community service organization?
    3. Would your group be interested in seeing more large-scale, external programming (concerts, ECAASU planning) from APSC’s end?
    4. Organizations we want to get involved with -

 

  • Collaborations between ASAM and APSC - with their new community service initiative - just in general more collaboration because of similar interests
  • Talking to a lot of groups (Sarah has list) - local, national, international (?)
  • Working with philanthropy organization - Asian Liver Center (awareness for hepatitis b)
  • What do you want to see APSC do more for external programming?
  • Already planning multitude of events
  • Formal programming may be a big hit or miss - some events during APSC XIX were not as well attended
  • How to fix apathy?
  • Talk to other 5B groups, because they are smaller - which makes them strong together - APSC may be stuck in a hole of disunity

 

 

Communications

    1. Do you feel like you are getting the info you need/want?

 

  • it’s fine, just getting people to open emails
  • having more facebook posts
  • Current-followup is good

 

  1. How do you think we should utilize social media?
    1. Do you think we should have a tumblr or blog?
    2. Do you think we should post more links like PAACH does?
  2. How often do you check the website?
    1. What would you like to see on the website?
    2. Should the website have divided sections for internships, scholarships, mentors, and outside organizations?
  3. Do you think the layout of the newsletter is fine right now?
  4. What more would you like to see from communications?

 

Open Forum

Isaac - having board members attending more of our events

Pat - danger of spreading too thin with too many things -> need to have a clearer vision

Lawrence - expanding on all fronts

Sarah - expanding organization to help bring APSC together with its programming; increasing presence on campus

Isaac - if APSC didn’t do funding, maybe it would help us create more high quality program ->

Christian - shifting focus on building relationships; funding is already received mostly elsewhere

Andrew - opposite idea -> what if more funding and less programming so constituents can hold bigger, higher quality events; funding is crucial for some groups/events

 

UncategorizedBoard APSC
2/1/15 Board Meeting Minutes

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, February 1, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Rodin Study Room 104

 

Where is everyone living next year? -

 

Updates

 

TD: Everyone: think about retreat, what you want out of APSC

- APSC Board “liaisons” for each constituent group

Chair

    • 5B Meeting
      • Meeting on Thursday to discuss PhiDelt issue didn’t happen, and issue was not brought up during the meeting as promised
      • Meeting next week to discuss Zero Tolerance policy or sending representatives to take courses
    • ASAM
      • Waiting on response regarding possible collab
    • 5B Transition Meeting

 

  • TD Jin: Email old 5B asking about 5B transition meeting

 

  • Phi Delt/Greek Life
    • Skeleton structure on how we want to move forward: Send 2-3 reps from each organization to go to training and report back to their organizations
    • Working with UMC to make structure of workshop
  • Got Consent Photo Campaign
    • Board members went to photoshoot on Jan. 30
    • Hear back from Isabella in 1-2 weeks
  • Fossil Free Penn Collab at GBM
    • Invited board member to speak at next GBM to see if APSC constituents are willing to sign onto petition
  • NEC UC speaker at GBM
    • Speaking about constituent groups individually applying to University Council
    • Concern: If groups did apply, then would APSC be weakened?
      • Permanent seats for the 5B are in the works
  • ARCH Programming
    • Starting up again soon
    • Has a budget that can go towards events, but ARCH only contains ⅗ of 5B
  • SFSAB
    • Finally meeting!
    • Jin will attend to represent APSC

Vice Chair

    • Board Social Events
      • XXI Board went to Buddakan, YAY
      • Fresh Off the Boat viewing?
        • First episode premieres 8:30 EST (during GBM...bummer)
    • Board Gear
      • Order is in!
    • PAACH Anniversary
      • PEER speakers confirmed
      • Planned on inviting someone that can provide a student perspective as opposed to an all administrative one
      • Moderator needed for Feb. 20th from 3-6pm (JIN!)
      • Applying to Penn Traditions for funding

 

  • TD Jennie & Lawrence: Complete funding applications from various boards

 

    • UPAAN
      • Pairing up alumni with current students, planning is in process

 

  • TD Jennie: Email to receive more information

 

  • Lunar New Year
    • CSA & PTS are collaborating
    • Bring up APA wide collab event at next GBM

Political

    • University Council
      • APSC currently has two strikes, seat transfer is still in process and will be completed on Monday
      • Cannot miss any more meetings
    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
      • Adding a survey into the course evaluations
      • Need to meet to discuss how the survey data will be beneficial
    • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
      • 5B seemed interested

 

  • TD Albert: Tell 5B to send a representative to discuss this initiative

 

  • UA Steering
    • No meeting this week
  • Meetings with presidents
    • Ongoing
    • SAS and Penn Q&A are doing an LGBT event in February, APSC can help with marketing
    • Meeting with SAS president
      • Addressed concern about lesser representation in APSC from South Asians

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
    • Emailed seniors to see if they would like to opt out
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • Received a couple of responses
  • Figuring out Board transitions
  • Presidents dinner
    • Date still TBD

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • Finally met!
      • ICF still has $15000 left
      • T-Change has $24000 left
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
      • ClubSing March 22nd - Sing, City, asking for $6250
    • Budget
    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Discussion
    • Funding Seminar

 

  • TD Lawrence: Send out email tonight and work on presentation

 

External

    • APSC wide arts show

 

  • TD Sarah: Send Lisa more information about Asian Arts Initiative Open House → listserv

 

    • Penn Fashion Week

 

  • TD Sarah: Email them back to express interest

 

    • 5B Speakeasy
    • Yellow Rage
    • DFD/Awkwafina - Feb. 19th at 8pm
      • FInal details: Inside Penn Museum, hardwood floor - about $1350
      • DFD and Awkwafina staying at Sarah’s apartment
      • $1030 for extra sound equipment
      • Kevin Park has turn tables and can DJ
      • Total: $6475.50
      • Ticketed event: $8 presale, $10 at the door
      • Marketing starting this weekend, apply to funding boards
    • 76ers Asian Heritage NIght - March 30th
      • SAS, KSA, PTS, CSA (on the fence) are interested in getting invovled
        • 175+ would include high 5 tunnel, cost $22 each
        • 90 tickets 40 at $35 each, 20 get to high five lakers
        • Lesser tickets, lose security deposit (must be put in soon)
      • Performances during half time

 

  • TD Sarah: Call Molly telling her we are still uncertain and also contact PAACH for possible subsidizing

 

  • ECAASU
    • Registration is now $85 per person ($75 for groups of 20+)
  • Dan aka Dan
    • $700 + $500 for travel (Can probably negotiate further)
    • Planned tentatively for April 5th
    • KSA is interested to collab

Communications

  • Video Project
    • Waiting on more videos
  • Annual Report formatting
  • Website
    • Implementing suggestions
  • Branching out from APA community
    • In touch with AAJA
  • Past initiatives?

Discussion

    • APSC Board Retreat!
      • Saturday Feb. 7 starting at 12pm
    • Town Hall Recap
    • GBM Planning
      • Guest Speakers: Fossil Free Penn, NEC (~5 min each) - Jin
      • Icebreaker - Where the wind blows - Jennie, Brandon
        • Relate it to Fresh Off the Boat
      • Constituent group announcements at the beginning
        • ITASA
        • TD Brandon: Ask someone from the group to speak during constituent group announcements
      • ECAASU- Lisa, Jin (testimonial)
      • Dan aka Dan - Sarah
      • DFD/Awkwafina reminder - Sarah
      • 76ers - Sarah
      • Asian Arts Initiative open house - Sarah
      • Go into funding seminar
      • LEAP Nominations - Albert
    • LEAP (Leadership in Events and Programming)
      • APSC Olympics will be culminating event, but small projects along the way
        • A way to lead their own project, meet new people, get closer to other constituent groups
      • “chalk the walk” help with mental health project (once a month)
      • Bubble tea fundraisers
      • different committees: Creative, Finance, Marketing
      • Need to send email to those who expressed interest at SAC Fair and other potential members
        • Application process

 

  • TD Jin: Send reminder email that application is due on Tuesday
  • TD Jennie: Reminder email for PEE

 

        • “whose mission is to provide opportunity to, cultivate, and empower individuals pursuing leadership at the University of Pennsylvania. AC functions from a project oriented standpoint to create dialogue over APIA issues, facilitate communication among rising leaders, increase access to past and present APIA leaders, and make tangible on-campus impact. “-
    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER
    • APSC Person of the Week

 

  • TD Lisa: Post on Monday

 

  • Ferguson
    • Follow up
UncategorizedBoard APSC
1/21/15 General Body Meeting Minutes

Asian Pacific Student Coalition General Body Meeting

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

“Forever XXI”

Icebreaker

  • Speed Dating

Announcements

  • Introducing Viraj Patel, the new PAACH Associate Director
  • ECAASU
    • 3rd weekend in Feb.
    • in Boston
    • Contact any board member if you are interested in attending!
  • Budget Status Report (Lawrence)
  • Town Hall (Brandon)
    • Time for constituents to give feedback and suggestions
  • Board Mixers (Brandon)
  • UPAAN Scholarship (Lisa)
  • 76ers (Sarah)
    • Asian Heritage Night at 76s vs. Lakers game
    • Please email Sarah if your group is interested
  • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT (Sarah)
    • Dumbfounded and Awkafina booked for Thurs. Feb. 19th YAY!

Funding Application

  • SASAI Keynote Speaker: Jus Reign
    • Presentation (2 min)
    • Q & A (2 min)
    • Deliberations (3 min)
      • Funded $200 from General Body Fund + $50 from guaranteed funding

Discussion

  • Phi Delt Photo
UncategorizedBoard APSC
1/25/15 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, January 25, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Rodin M20

What are you looking forward to in February?

Updates

Chair

    • 5B Meeting
      • Talked about meeting with Panhel, IGC, MGC
      • Trying to implement some kind of regular programming to prevent PhiDelt incident from reoccurring
      • Trying to get permanent university council seats
        • Doesn’t look too easy, but we will put our best foot forward :)
    • ASAM

 

  • TD Jin: Email Azuma

 

    • 5B Transition Meeting
      • Looks like there will be many new initiatives rather than picking up scraps from last term

 

  • TD Jin: Ask Katherine what the status of this is

 

  • Phi Delt
  • Political 5B Transition Doc
    • Postponed until we find out whether or not there will be a transition meeting
  • Got Consent Photo Campaign
    • Emailed Isabella back, waiting for more information on photo shifts
  • Fossil Free at Penn Collab
    • Environment activist group, wants Penn to divest from fossil fuels
    • Wants APSC to sign onto

Vice Chair

  • Board Social Events
    • Restaurant week at Buddakan (if reservations are open)
    • Fat Salmon is Plan B
  • Board Gear
    • Order sent in today
    • $10 paid out of pocket, rest is covered by PAACH
  • PAACH Anniversary
    • Need to figure out logistics
  • UPAAN
    • Trying to set up a resume review workshop
    • New initiative: Pair student with an alumni
    • Add to list of summer internships

Political

    • University Council
      • Meeting this week
    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
      • Brought up during 5B meeting, people were interested
      • Contacted Penn Initiative in Minority Mental Health, but waiting until group is fully transitioned

 

  • TD Jin and Albert: Meet to discuss the Stanford initiative and how we can maybe model it

 

  • UA Steering
    • Talked about increasing Penn’s attentiveness to sports

Constituent

    • APSC Dollars
      • Email will be sent out tonight notifying constituents that the competition will start tonight
    • Lunch w/ a Senior
      • Include in the APSC Dollars email
    • Constituent Board Mixers
      • Email sent on Friday about sign ups
    • Figuring out Board transitions
      • Asked constituents about updating listservs
    • Presidents dinner
      • Postponed until Spring
    • APSC Olympics
      • Postponed until Spring
    • Town Hall
      • Feb 1st (next Sunday) at 2PM
      • Location TBD

 

  • TD Brandon: Book Huntsman room for Town Hall

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • Still no funding board meetings
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • Budget
      • $245 → board gear
      • $2900 for the rest of the semester
    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • No progress

 

  • TD Lawrence: Work on a proposition
  • TD Jin: Find out if CAPE still exists

 

    • Funding Seminar
      • After next GBM

 

  • TD Lawrence: Email people about Funding Seminar and work on the presentation

 

  • SAC Activities Fair
    • About 25 freshmen interested in new LEAP program
    • Email PEER freshmen, FYI people, and other freshmen that may be interesting in joining
    • Think about better marketing techniques for the next fair

External

    • APSC wide arts show
      • PAC responded showing interest, hopefully will get them on board soon and start flushing out details
    • Penn Lens
      • Identity exhibit - we can’t fund but we can help with publicity
    • Lunar New Year Celebration at South Philly High School
      • Asking for volunteers - help with decorations and craft activities

 

  • TD Sarah: Contact Penn Lions to see if they would be interested

 

    • 5B Speakeasy
      • Seen but no response
      • Possibly in March
    • Yellow Rage
      • Spoken word group
    • DFD/Awkwafina
      • $4000 for both DFD and Awkwafina + 2 hotel rooms
      • No venues available on campus, but found another that cost about $1500
      • Spectrum, KSA, CSA (maybe) will collab
      • Openers: Contacted Hype

 

  • TD Sarah and Lawrence: Send in funding apps when details are settled

 

    • 76’s Asian Heritage NIght
      • SAS, KSA, CSA all contacted
      • Maybe giant collab with other constituent groups so we can bargain

 

  • TD Brandon: Contact other groups to see if they would be interested
  • TD Sarah: Send Brandon more info about 76’s

 

    • ECAASU
      • Registration will probably be subsidized
      • Nominate attendees for Trailblazer award

 

  • TD Lisa: Send out email with Trailblazer nominations and form for people that are interested (include name, phone number, email in form)
  • TD Sarah: Send Lisa the email for Bryn Mawr seeking Asian female

 

  • Dan aka Dan
    • Maybe in April 4th or 5th (Sat or Sun)
    • Maybe collab with KSA because their culture show is that weekend

Communications

  • Video Project
    • sent out email
  • Annual Report formatting

 

  • Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

 

    • Website

 

  • TD Lisa: Send survey

 

    • Branching out from APA community

 

  • TD Sarah: Reach out to women’s group (pcuw and penn’s women center) to see if they would like to collab
  • TD Lisa: email class board to see if they would be interested in helping us market/advertise the event

 

  • Facebook page name
    • UPenn Asian Pacific Student Coalition - APSC

Discussion

    • APSC Board Retreat
      • Feb 7th, afternoon

 

  • TD Jin: Send minutes from last year’s meeting

 

      • Location: Jin’s room?
      • FOOD
    • Town Hall Logistics
      • Sunday, February 1st @ 2:00pm

 

  • TD Jin: Send Brandon the Town Hall stuff

 

    • Fossil Free Penn
      • Address at GBM and take a vote because we would sign as APSC, not individually

 

  • TD Jin: Invite Thomas Lee to come speak at next GBM, introduce topic for vote

 

    • LEAP (Leadership in Events and Programming)
      • APSC Olympics will be culminating event, but small projects along the way
        • A way to lead their own project, meet new people, get closer to other constituent groups
      • “chalk the walk” help with mental health project (once a month)
      • Bubble tea fundraisers
      • different committees: Creative, Finance, Marketing
      • Need to send email to those who expressed interest at SAC Fair and other potential members
        • Application process

 

  • TD Jin: Draft emails, one for FYI listserv, one for LEAP listserv
  • TD Lisa: Make new LEAP Listserv and add people to PAACH listserv
  • TD Jennie: Make Google Form

 

        • “whose mission is to provide opportunity to, cultivate, and empower individuals pursuing leadership at the University of Pennsylvania. AC functions from a project oriented standpoint to create dialogue over APIA issues, facilitate communication among rising leaders, increase access to past and present APIA leaders, and make tangible on-campus impact. “-
    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER

 

  • TD Jennie: Set up Skype call with Kristen

 

      • February 20th
      • (PEER’s end) people they contact:
        • Karen Su, the first Director of PAACH, has agreed to fly down that day to attend this event.  Here is here email: karensu@uic.edu
        • Valerie De Cruz, Director of Greenfield Intercultural Center
        • Grace Kao, sociology professor and part of the ASAM program. Was part of on-campus advocacy for the program.
        • Michael Mariano’s dad? (I think that his name is Roberto Mariano) Michael Mariano mentioned that he was a faculty representative for the students, and was possibly involved with the sit-in at Rodin’s office.
        • Ellen Somekawa, was involved with advocacy on campus during her time at Penn as a grad student. Is now director of AAU - transitioning into new role in charter school in Chinatown.
        • Michael Mariano
        • Franklin Shen
        • Curtis Lee
        • ^ find names of other people who would have been involved in the student advocacy end of this. Both Franklin and Michael have come to campus with ASAM Food for Thought this semester.
        • APSC - see if they have anyone?
      • (APSC’S end): Board of Advisory,

 

  • TD everyone: Start compiling questions for Anniversary Event panel
  • TD Jennie: find meeting time with Kristen before we leave, preferably PVD too

 

    • Facebook page title
      • UPenn Asian Pacific Student Coalition (APSC)

 

  • TD Lisa: Change name of Facebook page

 

    • Dropbox
      • Mithin will be uploading files onto Dropbox

 

  • TD everyone: read over and upload relevant Dropbox files

 

  • APSC Shirts
    • Olympics Participation
  • APSC Person of the Week
  • Ferguson
    • Follow up
  • ECAASU
UncategorizedBoard APSC
1/18/15 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, January 18, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Rodin M20

Gift Exchange

 

Updates

 

Chair

    • 5B: SFS Advisory Board
    • 5B: Low income/first gen initiative
      • Will be addressed after 5B transitions
    • ASAM
      • Should start promoting their events
      • TD Jin: Set up meeting with Dr. Azuma and Jennie
    • 5B Transition Meeting
      • Met a few days ago, regular meeting times TBD
    • Individual 5B Leader Meetings

 

  • TD Jin: Set 5B leader meetings up

 

    • QPoc Collab
    • Ferguson
    • Phi Delt
      • Administrators want to set up a meeting with MGC and Phi Delt president
      • Frat social activities currently suspended
    • Political 5B Transition Doc

 

  • TD Jin: Send Albert the doc

 

    • Philo Collab
      • It’s a go, can’t help with financial stuff though
    • Got Consent Photo Campaign
      • Started by ASAP Exec board
      • Representatives from APSC write a blurb about the importance of consent and take photo

 

  • TD Jin: Respond to Isabelle’s email for more information

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Secret Santa
    • Board Social
      • Something early next semester?
      • Movie night!

 

  • TD Jennie: Send out survey with movie options and dates

 

    • Board Gear
      • Design finished, red hoodies

 

  • TD Jennie: Contact Shore Design

 

 

Political

    • University Council
      • Jan 28th
    • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting
    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
      • Going well
    • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
      • Maybe model something similar to Stanford’s program
      • Make it a 5B thing

 

  • TD Albert: Contact PIMMH and 5B about mental health initiative

 

  • UA Steering

 

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
  • Constituent Board Mixers
  • Figuring out Board transitions
    • TD Brandon: Send emails to Lisa so she can update the Listserv
  • Presidents dinner
    • Postponed
  • APSC Olympics
    • Postponed

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
      • One application from SAS
    • Budget
      • In the works
      • $1000 for general body fund, $250 for PAACH events

 

  • TD Lawrence: Finish budget before next GBM

 

  • Corporate Sponsorship

 

External

    • APSC wide arts show
      • Penn Masala, Dhamaka, Pennsori said yes, other groups will be asked soon

 

  • TD Sarah: Contact SAS

 

    • Asian Arts Initiative
    • Penn Lens
      • Identity exhibit - we can’t fund but we can help with publicity

 

  • Lunar New Year Celebration at South Philly High School

 

      • Asking for volunteers - help with decorations and craft activities

 

  • TD Sarah: Contact Penn Lions to see if they would be interested

 

    • 5B Speakeasy
    • Yellow Rage
    • Performers
      • Dumbfounded is in town Feb. 15th, if we wanted, maybe we could get him for cheaper
      • awkwafina and Dan aka Dan are options
    • 76’s Asian Heritage NIght
      • Maybe giant collab with other constituent groups so we can bargain

 

  • TD Brandon: Contact other groups to see if they would be interested
  • TD Sarah: Send Brandon more info about 76’s

 

 

  • TD Lawrence: Ask Peter or Kusum about any possible ECAASU funding

 

 

Communications

    • Social Media
      • Publicize constituent groups with video

 

  • TD Lisa: Contact presidents

 

  • Annual Report formatting
    • Still happening

 

  • Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

 

      • Didn’t get a response

 

  • TD Lisa: Ask her again before next PAACH newsletter goes out

 

    • Website
      • Make calendar widget or upcoming events list on homepage

 

  • TD Lisa: Send out survey for website opinions

 

    • Branch out from APA community

 

  • TD Lisa: Talk to Peter more about talking to Class Board, UA, Student Government

 

 

Discussion

    • Secret Santa Recap

 

  • TD Brandon: Send out a reminder for people to come pick up gifts

 

    • Regular board meeting time for next semester
      • 5-7pm on Sundays
    • Vision Meeting
      • Feb 7th, afternoon

 

  • TD Jin: Send minutes from last year’s meeting

 

    • Town Hall
      • Make announcement about it during next GBM

 

  • TD Brandon: Reach out to constituent group members, book huntsman room, ask for questions/structure last year - feedbacks from them - ask Sheila for questions from last year

 

    • GBM Planning
      • Agenda
        • Short introduction of board names
        • Speed dating (approx. 15 min)
          • TD Jennie: Work with Jin to make PowerPoint with suggested questions
          • 36 Questions to Fall in Love
          • Number off by constituent groups instead of people so that the same people from each group don’t talk to each other
        • Announcements - Town Hall, Board Mixers, ECAASU, Budget
        • Potential funding app
        • Discussion on Phi Delt
    • CAPE and FYI
    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER

 

  • TD Jennie: Set up Skype call with Kristen

 

      • February 20th
      • (PEER’s end) people they contact:
        • Karen Su, the first Director of PAACH, has agreed to fly down that day to attend this event.  Here is here email: karensu@uic.edu
        • Valerie De Cruz, Director of Greenfield Intercultural Center
        • Grace Kao, sociology professor and part of the ASAM program. Was part of on-campus advocacy for the program.
        • Michael Mariano’s dad? (I think that his name is Roberto Mariano) Michael Mariano mentioned that he was a faculty representative for the students, and was possibly involved with the sit-in at Rodin’s office.
        • Ellen Somekawa, was involved with advocacy on campus during her time at Penn as a grad student. Is now director of AAU - transitioning into new role in charter school in Chinatown.
        • Michael Mariano
        • Franklin Shen
        • Curtis Lee
        • ^ find names of other people who would have been involved in the student advocacy end of this. Both Franklin and Michael have come to campus with ASAM Food for Thought this semester.
        • APSC - see if they have anyone?
      • (APSC’S end): Board of Advisory,

 

  • TD everyone: Start compiling questions for Anniversary Event panel
  • TD Jennie: find meeting time with Kristen before we leave, preferably PVD too

 

 

  • TD Lisa: Change name of Facebook page

 

    • Dropbox
      • Mithin will be uploading files onto Dropbox

 

  • TD everyone: read over and upload relevant Dropbox files

 

    • APSC Shirts
      • Olympics Participation
    • APSC Person of the Week

 

  • TD Lisa: Post on FB
  • TD Sarah: MLK day blurb

 

  • Ferguson
    • Photo campaign?
    • Week of Action
  • ECAASU
  • Dumbfoundead/awkwafina

TD Sarah: Email Dumbfounded

UncategorizedBoard APSC
12/7/14 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, December 7, 2014. 5:00pm EST.

Rodin 104

When are your finals?

Updates

Chair

    • 5B: SFS Advisory Board Recap
      • Constitution that 5B wanted will be amended next semester
    • SFS Advisory Board rep?
      • Need a representative from APSC for next term

 

  • TD for Jin: Send out Advisory Board Constitution

 

    • 5B: Low income/first gen initiative
      • In the works, more meetings to come
      • Meeting with consultants Monday 12/8 at 8:30am
    • 5B: SFS Consultants

 

  • TD for Jin: Breakfast at 8:30 AM

 

    • ASAM
    • 5B Transition Meeting

 

  • TD for Jin: Email new 5B chairs and set up regular meeting time

 

    • Individual 5B Leader Meetings

 

  • TD for Jin: Set up coffee dates with the new 5B chairs

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Secret Santa
      • Don’t forget!

 

  • TD for Jennie: Reminder email over winter break

 

    • Board Social
      • Brunch on Saturday, 10AM, @Sabrina’s
    • APSC History
      • Compiled Google doc with APSC related articles in the DP

 

  • TD for Jennie: Share doc with board

 

    • One-on-one meetings with current board members
    • FYI
      • No meeting this week
    • All board database
      • Valerie provided 2 contacts, emailed
    • Board Gear
      • Zip-ups! Wee!

 

  • TD for Jennie: Contact Matt about Board Gear

 

    • Winter Break Skype Session

 

  • TD for Jennie: Send out When2Meet for Winter Break Skype Session

 

 

Political

    • UA Steering Recap
    • University Council Seat
      • Need rep from APSC to go to monthly meetings - Wednesday 4-6pm
      • Must be same person each time

 

  • TD for Jin: Set Albert up with Joseph
  • TD for Albert: Talk to Mithin about what to do at UC meetings

 

    • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting

 

  • TD for Albert: Follow up with administration for date

 

  • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Trying to create some sort of course evaluation in hopes of identifying what is wrong with the courses and how it’s not fulfilling the requirement
    • Next meeting next week

 

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
    • No new responses
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • Waiting until boards finish transitioning
  • Figuring out Board transitions
    • Contact them next semester
  • Presidents dinner
    • Wednesday @ 6-9pm in Chinatown
  • Secret Santa - Marketing for it

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • T-Change fully funded Kwanzaa dinner
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • Budget Analysis
      • ~ $3700 for next semester

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Figure out discrepancy for budget
  • TD for Lawrence: Set up meetings with board

 

    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Met with CSSAP
    • 5B: sexual violence task force
      • A focus group is in the works to discuss how the problem should be addressed
    • ITASA
      • Wanted to know if they could apply for funding from APSC

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Email ITASA

 

 

External

  • APSC wide arts show
    • Contact culture performance groups over winter break and see if they would be interested in the cultural show
    • Formal vs informal?
  • Asian Arts Initiative
    • Get involved next semester
  • Lunar New Year Celebration at South Philly High School
    • Direct them to VSA?

 

Communications

  • Social Media
    • new board spotlights, new ideas: constituent group highlights
    • TD for Lisa: annual report formatting

 

  • TD for Lisa: Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

 

 

  • TD for Everyone: Find the photo that you like best and comment it, I will use it for spotlights and the website

 

    • Website
      • Update links and get rid of useless stuff
    • Flyer for Secret Santa

 

  • TD for Lisa: Email constituent groups about including Secret Santa in their newsletters
  • TD for Brandon: Send Lisa all information that must go on flyers

 

 

Discussion

    • Next board meeting (possibly shorter?)
      • Tentatively decided on Sunday the 14th 5-7pm
    • GBM Recap + Feedback
      • What worked? What didn’t? What should we change?
        • Keep time restraints, but need to be more strict about it
        • Figure out the best place that the person timing should stand
        • Enforce rules of GBM so people are more attentive
        • Consider new ways to change funding app process
          • MUST enforce time restraints
          • Lawrence can start reaching out applicants beforehand
          • Learn from NEC
        • Good feedback on Ferguson discussion
        • Jin- be more assertive and more clear about the procedures
      • Attendance - institute strikes?
        • Half a strike if you are more than 10 min late
    • ALPS Feedback
      • Need to stress the point that their group brings a new perspective to APSC
        • International student engagement
      • Prep more
      • Lack of South Asian representation
      • Reach out to constituent groups maybep

 

  • TD for Jin: Reply to ALPS with this feedback

 

    • APSC Dollars
      • Winner: PTS
      • $100 set aside in budget
      • Cook/bake/cash prize/a combination?
        • Finals care package & Trophy (after break)

 

  • TD for Brandon: Figure out all the care package stuff

 

    • Constituent Secret Santa
      • Date? January 15th in PAACH
      • Marketing - TD for Everyone: INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS
      • Tell constituents to send out announcement in their own newsletters (if they have)
    • Kanad + Tim
      • Concerned that there is a big divide between APSC and other minority groups
        • Wants APSC to use Ferguson as a starting point to start bridging this relationship
        • End goal is to have a huge discussion on race in America
        • Take initiative to encourage API’s to care

 

  • TD for Everyone: Think about this initiative and possibly reaching out to other one-on-one and get back to Jin about it

 

    • Penn Lens Collab
    • Active Minds Collab
      • Speaker event for Mental Wellness week: Kevin Briggs - end of March/beg. of April

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Follow up with Amanda telling her that we are on board

 

    • QPoC Collab
      • “The Week” - Lambda wants to collab with APSC to bring in a speaker- Kay Barrett

 

  • TD for Jin: Go to Kay Barrett meeting

 

    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER
    • CAPE Liaison
    • Freshmen Liaisons for Spring 2015
    • FYI
    • Corporate sponsorship
      • Met with CSSAP who has gotten sponsorships from local places in the past to fund 30+ events each year
        • Recently started acquiring year-long sponsorships locally and internationally
      • ITASA, WAX have corporate sponsors
      • Valuable if we have a large event
      • Develop long term relationships with other advocacy organizations
      • TD for Jin and Lawrence: Create a proposition that we can use to approach possible sponsors
    • Why #BlackLivesMatter
      • Event tomorrow 10 - 4 outside of ARCH
      • Write down why you believe black lives matter -everyone go!

 

  • TD for Everyone: Go!

 

  • The State of API Students in Higher Education
    • Tuesday, 4pm @ Terrace Room in Claudia Cohen Hall
  • What do you want to work on over winter break?
    • Think about any big projects that you guys want to work on
UncategorizedBoard APSC
12/1/14 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Monday, December 1, 2014. 10:00pm EST.

Rodin M20

What's the best thing that happened to you this break?

 

Updates

 

Chair

    • 5B: SFS Advisory Board
      • Still in progress
    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
      • Meeting this Friday, Dec. 5
    • 5B: sexual violence task force (upcoming)
      • Supposed to be scheduled for early December
    • Presidents dinner
      • TD for Brandon: get in touch with Mithin about how this is going
    • New board spotlight
      • Start after Thanksgiving, highlight a new member of the board each day
      • TD for Everyone: Fill this out if you haven't!
  • TD for Everyone: Fill out When2Meet for photoshoot
  • Essay/VPUL Chart

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Secret Santa
      • Scheduled for after Winter Break
    • Board Social
      • Escape the Room? Wednesday Dec. 3 at 7:00pm tentatively
    • APSC History
      • Compiled Google doc with APSC related articles in the DP
    • One-on-one meetings with current board members
      • Confirm time with Jennie
  • TD for Jennie: Send out another email with when to meet
    • FYI
  • TD for Everyone: Fill out the form that Jennie sent out
  • All board database
    • Contacted Valerie de Cruz
    • Set up Skype session with alumni boards

 

Political

    • UA Steering December 2 7:30
  • TD for Albert: Go to UA Steering
    • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting
    • ASAM Meeting (with Chair, Internal)
  • TD for Jin: Talk with Albert and Jennie about ASAM Meeting
    • ASAM Summer Program - based off Africana program

Constituent

  • TD for Brandon: Update calendar
    • TD for Brandon: Send out reminder email about how dollars are ending soon
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • Gift exchange email sent out

Finance

  • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
  • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • PTS Hot Pot Night
  • Funding Steering Assembly
    • Produces common funding app (funds from all sources)
  • Budget Analysis
  • Corporate Sponsorship
    • Met with Peter for sponsor contact info

External

    • 5B Elections
      • Still going on, Lambda Alliance elections on Tues. Dec 2
    • Columbia Interboard Listserv
    • Collaboration with campus student group - Penn Lenc
      • Next semester, photoshoot celebrating diversity
  • TD for Sarah: Forward email about collaboration with Penn Lens to board
  • APSC wide arts show
    • In the works

Communications

  • Social Media
    • new board spotlights, new ideas: constituent group highlights
    • TD for Lisa: annual report formatting
    • C. Group Newsletter List-serv
    • TD for Lisa: Send out reminder email for GBM, include agenda
  • TD for Lisa: Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

Discussion

    • Next board meeting
      • Sunday Dec. 7 @ 5:00pm, Rodin M20
  • TD for Lisa: Book M20 for next board meeting
    • Board meeting during finals?
      • Sunday, Dec. 14 maybe?
    • Restructuring GBM (especially timing constraints)
  • TD for Jin: send out agenda for GBM
      • Leave first 5-10 min for people to get food
  • TD for Brandon and Lawrence: Meet with Kusum about GBM food options and budget
    • Constituent Secret Santa
      • Thursday after break
  • TD for Brandon: Create Facebook event and send Lisa info that you wish to be included in the PAACH newsletter
    • Tell constituents to send out announcement in their own newsletters (if they have)
  • Active Minds Collab
  • QPoC Collab
  • CAPE
    • XX Board agreed to absorb CAPE into APSC
    • What next - what role will CAPE play as a part of APSC
  • Freshmen Liaisons for Spring 2015
    • Market through constituent groups
  • FYI
    • Discussion based environment with freshmen
    • Encourage them to be more invested in the API community
    • Increase social aspect
    • With PEER and APALI, where does FYI stand?
    • Maybe combine CAPE and FYI so it’s more of a programming thing
    • TD for Jennie: Send email notifying members that FYI is canceled this week
  • ASAM Summer Program
  • Board Gear
    • Laptop stickers
    • Zip-up hoodies, crewneck sweaters, hoodies, OPTIONSSS
  • Asian Arts Initiative
UncategorizedBoard APSC
11/23/14 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, November 23, 2014. 4:00pm EST.

ARCH 110

Why are you in APSC?

What is the 5B?

  • 5 Boards that serve as umbrella organizations for minority groups, APSC, UMOJA, LC, Lambda Alliance, UMC
  • At administrative meetings, we go as members of the 5B
    • All on equal playing field, all a cohesive unit
  • Tomorrow in DP, there might coverage on the 5B + SFS
  • Meetings with 5B occur about 1/wk

Updates

Speeches and Applications

  • Jennie - VC Internal
    • Keep close interaction with the Chair by sharing a schedule so they can delegate tasks
    • FYI - require that they attend culture shows and do a presentation at the end of the year
    • Get advice from past APSC boards through surveys or Google forms
    • Chalk-the-Walk days with uplifting quotes
    • Assign mental health awareness events for each constituent group
    • Create more awareness for PAACH, maybe spreading flyers/posters around campus or have more blurbs in the DP
    • One person should be assigned to each constituent
    • group, have competitions between each
    • Videos before each GBM
  • Albert - VC Political
    • Mental awareness - aside from CAPS, a special program under PAACH where students can be mentors
    • Flyering/having posters everywhere that talk about statistics with mental health
    • Promore RAP Line, anonymous calling service for students that are stressed and want to talk
    • More discussions on a deeper level
    • Self-segregation - do more community service so people can meet new people amongst the 5B
    • More speakers especially regarding API issues
    • Promote ASAM courses to educate both API students and wider Penn community
  • Brandon - VC Constituent Affairs
    • Freshmen engagement - Past used to have an advisory council, create coalition wide events to encourage everyone to come out, develop young leaders that can’t really see a way to get involved themselves
    • Coalition unity - Having a lot of speaker events, socials, encourage constituents to come out. Maybe use CAPE to help with these events
    • GBM variability, increase the diversity of what we are doing and talking about in GBM’s allowing constituents to speak up with comments or concerns, making it a place where people actually want to come out
    • Pair up board members with different groups
    • More feedback from the constituent groups through midterm surveys
  • Sarah - VC External
    • Acapella event
    • PAACH voter registration party
    • Work with AAI
    • “This is my Story” with the 5B as soon as all the boards are elected
    • Speakers - Aquafina, get women’s center involved
    • Form relations with other schools
    • Good working relation with the 5B
  • Lisa - VC Communications
    • more transparency, streamlining the communications process
    • centralize and localize all information
      • i.e. our website so constituents can find all the information in one place
      • i.e. announcements or newsletters can be uploaded onto the website in PDF format
    • take advantage of the website this term and increase viewership
    • website = default reference point, especially for non-Penn affiliated groups
  • Jin - Chair
    • Restructuring GBM’s
      • Timing constraints on funding applications, talk about it at next meeting
      • Varie structure of GBM’s - more discussions
    • Since 5B is transitioning right now, make sure that we start on the right foot
      • Carry on initiatives going on currently
      • Maintain presence on the 5B

Chair

  • Transition meetings
    • TD for everyone: Schedule individual transition meetings
  • 5B: SFS Advisory Board
    • There was a kickoff meeting on Monday that caused a lot of controversy
  • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Right now, there is being work done to restructure it so diversity issues are recognized
      • Currently looking at peer institutions
  • 5B: sexual violence task force (upcoming)
    • Supposed to be scheduled for early December
    • Make sure APSC has a voice
  • Send out APSC PAACH history essay
    • TD for Jin: Send out PAACH history essay
  • Presidents dinner
    • Most likely going to be the Wed. Dec 10th or Thurs. Dec 11th
    • Maybe change date to some time early next semester? since many boards are turning over
  • New board spotlight
    • Start after Thanksgiving, highlight a new member of the board each day
    • TD for Jin: Send Lisa the formatting for the new board spotlight on FB
  • UA Steering GBM at 9
    • APSC has not really gone in the past, but at this next one, we will be talking about SFS
    • TD: Albert go to UA Steering GBM with Jin
  • VPUL Chart
    • TD for Jin: Send out updated VPUL chart to board
    • Chart maps out relations in VPUL, get a good sense of who they are

Vice Chair

  • Secret Santa
    • Invitations have been sent out
    • Scheduled for some time after winter break at a board meeting/dinner?
  • Board Social
    • Option 1: Escape the Room, $28/person
    • Option others: Group dinner, movie night
    • TD for Jennie: Send out form and When2Meet
  • APSC History
    • Alumni List-serv - All Board Database - Work w/ Kusum
      • haven’t heard back from Valerie de Cruz yet
      • TD for Jennie: follow up on this email
    • DP Articles since 2008
      • not many articles associated with APSC
      • TD for Jennie: link articles to help with documentation
    • Initiatives within the last couple of years
      • ongoing

 

Political

  • 5B Elections
  • UMOJA elections upcoming, Nov 24 @ 7pm
  • UA Steering December 2 7:30
  • TD for Albert: Go to UA Steering
  • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting
  • TD for Jin: Talk with Albert about Data Disaggregation
  • ASAM Meeting (with Chair, Internal)
  • TD for Jin: Talk with Albert and Jennie about ASAM Meeting
  • Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
    • TD for Albert & Brandon: Set up a meeting with Sheila to learn about APSC Dollars
    • Lunch w/ a Senior
      • Periodically check underclassmen sign-ups (maybe Wednesdays after PAACH newsletter is sent out)
    • Constituent Board Mixers
      • Recap PTS WAX
        • @Saigon

    Finance

  • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
  • T-Change recap
  • Funded ASEAN Gala, $250
  • Funded NAPA, $75
  • Budget Analysis
  • Corporate Sponsorship
    • CSSAP has corporate sponsors, maybe APSC can get in on this?
    • TD for Lawrence: Meet with CSSAP and Peter

    External

    • 5B Elections
    • New LC board elected
    • Meetings have been set up with new board
    • Follow up on making Columbia Interboard Listserve

    Communications

  • Social Media
  • Goal for this year: 1000 likes on FB page
  • Newsletter/General List-serv Status
  • C. Group Newsletter List-serv
  • Discussion

  • Next board meeting (before Wednesday after we get back)
    • Dec 1 @ 10pm in Rodin M20
  • TD for Lisa: Reserve Rodin M20 for next board meeting
    • CAPE
    • Freshmen Liaisons
    • FYI
    • GBM
    • ASAM Summer Program
      • TD: Jin: Schedule meeting with Jennie and Albert and ASAM (Fariha and Azuma), talk about Africana summer program

    Asian Law & Politics Society Application to join APSC

    • Host discussions with various panelists about topics concerning law and politics in Asia
      • i.e. territorial disputes, protests, etc.
    • Has not hosted many social events in the past, but would like to collaborate with other culture groups in the API community to do so
    • Organization has a constitution, 4 board members, and 12 members total
    • Would like to join APSC for funding reasons, closer proximity to other constituent groups, more accessibility to other groups
    • Wants to educate the API community and beyond
    • Concern: Staying neutral
      • Panelists are usually asked to focus on facts rather than personal opinions, but in the case that there are strong person opinions, there is usually another panelist with an opposing view for balance
    UncategorizedBoard APSC
    Congratulations XXI Board!
    XXI_Board_Featured.jpg

    XXI_BoardHello APSC Community! It is with great pleasure that I introduce Jin Kim (C'16), the 21st Chair of the Asian Pacific Student Coalition, as well as the entire 2015 Executive Board:

    Chair: Jin Kim, C'16 Vice Chair: Jennie Fan, E'17 Vice Chair of Political Affairs: Albert Cai, E'18 Vice Chair of Constituent Affairs: Brandon Chin, W'17 Vice Chair of Finance: Lawrence Li, W'16 Vice Chair of External Affairs: Sarah Cho, C'17 Vice Chair of Communications: Lisa Hoong, W'17 Freshmen Liaisons: TBD

    It has been such an honor to work with all of you over the past 2 years. Thank you to everyone who has made my experience with APSC so fulfilling. I am already looking forward to what this new board has to offer in the upcoming year.

    I am also going to take this time to thank my board (Aashish Lalani, Jin Kim, Sheila Deng, Kelly Jiang, Victoria Chen, and Rebekah Choi, Albert Cai, and Hillary Nguyen) for an incredible year. They have all dedicated and contributed so much to the vision and mission of APSC.

    To all the representatives who came to elections Wednesday night, thank you for asking important and insightful questions as well as for giving us constructive feedback. Without you all, APSC would not exist, and it is very inspiring to know that you all care about this community so deeply.

    Best, Mithin

    UncategorizedBoard APSC