Board Minutes | Sept 5-11

ASPSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, September 11, 2016. 5:00pm EST.

 

Updates:

    • SFS needs to know new liaison
      • Andy?
    • WCBS wants constituency - interview at next meeting & then vote at GBM

 

  • TD EVERYONE: CLEAN UP SECTIONS
  • TD Sarah: Respond to Barry!

 

 

Chair

 

  • TD Sarah: touch base with david scollan

 

    • First Gen/low ses Beginning of the Year event
    • UC Seat
      • Meeting between UA and NEC
      • Meeting with Kat
    • Online Bias Assessment Report
      • Meeting on Tuesday at 3 or 4 PM
    • Meeting with Meeta Kumar
      • Counselor at CAPS
    • Active Minds Collaboration
      • Series of workshops and discussion groups

 

  • TD Sarah: Respond positively to Active Minds

 

    • Room Reservations for GBMs
    • International Funding
      • Small pool right now --- Not need blind; most apply w/o financial aid
      • 4 year package (can’t reapply)

 

  • TD Everyone: Think about international students funding or something else

 

    • Faculty Diversity Committee
      • Yen-Yen will be on this committee
    • Faculty Diversity Award/first gen low ses grad school Committees
      • email Ian
      • one for each project
      • award to one member on faculty who is of minority background
        • Maya and Michelle will be on this committee
    • Committee Standings List - ongoing initiative list - past events
      • more transparency on website
    • API Dating Workshops

 

  • TD Sarah: Set up meeting with PAGE to discuss logistics of API dating workshops

 

      • 3 part series over the course of 3 months
      • Sonalee Rashatwar
        • speaks at conferences about body positivity
      • PAGE
        • Safe sex + toy usage - for women by women
        • Misogynistic language - for men by men
        • Interracial dating + Talking to family about dating
          • Start with this one!
      • 4 workshops over the course of a year (2 per semester)
        • Workshop for men by men
        • Workshop for women by women
    • First Gen, low ses committee for assistance into graduate school programs
    • Monthly Check in meetings
      • Supporting board
      • 2-1 meetings: THIS FRIDAY!
    • KSA: Activism Across Asia
      • KSA Panel event to talk about protests in Korea (nationalization of textbooks, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.)
      • Professors to talk about this
      • PennThai, M@P, KSA collab (regarding protests)
      • one scholar from singapore
    • Penn Wellness Steering Committee
      • 30 groups and communities across campus who are dedicated to implementing wellness initiatives within their groups. The committee is meant to serve as an outlet for collaboration, idea sharing, and event planning for wellness programming
    • Penn Spectrum Weekend
      • “This conference, taking place September 23-25, 2016, will be bringing our various alumni and student communities together to celebrate and discuss diversity at Penn and beyond.”
      • Luncheon
    • Scholarship
      • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
      • UPAAN wants to sponsor
    • AV Supply - waiting on Peter

 

  • TD Sarah: Tell Peter, Meeta Kumar, etc. to wait for the next week to present

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Town Hall
      • APSC Town Hall Meeting - Kelly, Rich, Amanda, Majid

 

  • TD EVERYONE: Mark Zahav 9/21 at 8:45 PM
  • TD Michelle: Post about Kusum Fund on social media

 

 

Political

 

  • TD YYG/Brandon - Meet with committee
  • TD YYG: Respond to email about Voter Registration

 

    • Freshmen API issues workshop 9/21
      • 5-7 PM tentatively
      • General overview of API issues
      • Discussion groups with facilitators
      • Topics: Family, Self, Career, Exploring Internal Issues in Community
    • Salaam Neighbor Film Screening - ASAM UAB 9/26
      • Collaborate with UAB to help advertise
      • Discussions on constant foreignness, xenophobia, islamophobia and the rhetoric in the current election cycle
      • Planning on inviting a Syrian refugee family to attend

 

  • TD YYG: Follow up with Christian
  • TD YYG: Forward Majid information about the panel

 

 

Constituent

    • Monday 8 pm committee meeting
      • board/committee event, small social event, help with Majid speaker event

 

  • Promote personal and intergroup interactions

 

    • Robyn - grad school database
      • Similar program to ‘Lunch with a Senior’; Grad + Undergrad mentorship
      • Start database from grad school of different fields - Leave it to undergrads to reach out
      • Best way to disseminate this information?
      • Google form for Grad students to fill out

 

  • TD Brandon/Majid: Reach out to grad student on board of advisors / GAPSA regarding database

 

    • Board Mixers
      • Once a month = goal
      • Start over/get feedback??
        • Connect via email
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion

 

  • Facebook group

 

        • Externals optional
        • TD Maya: Set a date and time and place for brunch and email out
    • APSC Dollars

 

  • Penn Spectrum Weekend meeting

 

      • https://www.facebook.com/events/248255135561185/ sign up!
      • $10 for students
      • Weekend in September
      • panels, social events, etc.
      • Want a representative from each of the boards if possible for planning
      • Committees for programming (encourage people in the community to apply to those)
    • Constituent Events
      • attending as many events as possible
      • facebook group link and freeforcoffee link

 

  • TD Maya: restart free for coffee / keep in contact with FreeforCoffee
  • TD Everyone: Clear up saturday at 11 AM for Farmacy :)

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Tradition

 

  • TD Andy: ask about budget

 

    • SRFS: Determine if schedule available
    • Budget Analysis
      • See how much we’re allocating to stuff
      • Make apsc spreadsheet
    • Possible Sponsorships?

 

  • TD Maya: Contact NSO Office to transfer money
  • TD Brandon/Andy: Figure out Board Gear reimbursements

 

  • Prepare funding for Meesh and Majid’s speaker events

 

External

 

  • Yuna on September 29th - Still Negotiating
  • TD Majid: Talk to Peter about forms
  • TD Majid: Send out formal request for collaborating groups, Reach out to Inspiration

 

      • Babar Harrie - SoundCloud Rapper with a 1000 ish following.

 

  • TD Majid: Figure out Funding

 

  • PAAFF - TD Majid: Reach out to next PAAFF

 

Communications

    • PVP Meeting

 

  • TD Michelle: CelebrAsian Photos (20-25 photos)
  • TD Michelle: Touch base with Arden’s agent
  • TD Brandon: Send email about open house

 

    • Fundraising and Community Outreach Committee
      • Decided on one large event for the semester
        • Fundraising: Sent out when2meet

 

  • TD Michelle/Andy: Meet with committee

 

      • Organizations?
  • Start weekly spotlights again
    • Already got 3 nominations and a few submissions
    • Thinking about possibly creating a Facebook event to gain more interest + already made a graphic for it
    • Emailed APSC constituents
    • TD Michelle: Follow up on submissions or nominations for the APSC weekly spotlight
  • Speaker Event / Interview
  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website and sending TDs
  • TD Michelle: Check up on feedback form
  • Photo campaign
    • Highlighting issues in social media
  • Website launch
    • Forum
    • Update non-constituent boards

Discussion

  • GBM Planning
    • PAACH Townhall
    • WCBS Presentation
    • Announcements
      • Meeting with Meeta Kumar
      • Online Bias Assessment Report
      • Active Minds Collaboration
      • UC Seat
      • Freshmen Liaison App
      • Freshmen Workshop
      • ASAM UAB Film screening
      • Yuna on September 29th - Collaborations and Ideas
      • Penn Spectrum Weekend
      • Committee updates
      • FreeForCoffee update
    • Funding Presentation

 

ASPSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda

Monday, September 5, 2016. 12:00pm EST.

 

Updates:

    • SFS needs to know new liaison
      • Andy?
    • WCBS wants constituency - interview at next meeting & then vote at GBM

 

  • TD EVERYONE: CLEAN UP SECTIONS

 

 

Chair

    • First Gen/low ses Beginning of the Year event
    • UC Seat
      • Meeting between UA and NEC
      • Meeting with Kat
    • Online Bias Assessment Report
    • Meeting with Meeta Kumar
    • Active Minds Collaboration
    • Room Reservations for GBMs
    • International Funding
      • Small pool right now --- Not need blind; most apply w/o financial aid
      • 4 year package (can’t reapply)
    • Faculty Diversity Committee
      • Yen-Yen will be on this committee
    • Faculty Diversity Award/first gen low ses grad school Committees
      • email Ian
      • one for each project
      • award to one member on faculty who is of minority background
        • Maya and Michelle will be on this committee
    • Committee Standings List - ongoing initiative list - past events
      • more transparency on website
    • API Dating Workshops

 

  • TD Sarah: Set up meeting with PAGE to discuss logistics of API dating workshops

 

    • 3 part series over the course of 3 months
    • Sonalee Rashatwar
      • speaks at conferences about body positivity
    • PAGE
      • Safe sex + toy usage - for women by women
      • Misogynistic language - for men by men
      • Interracial dating + Talking to family about dating
        • Start with this one!
    • 4 workshops over the course of a year (2 per semester)
      • Workshop for men by men
      • Workshop for women by women
  • First Gen, low ses committee for assistance into graduate school programs
  • Monthly Check in meetings
    • Supporting board
    • 2-1 meetings: THIS FRIDAY!
  • KSA: Activism Across Asia
    • KSA Panel event to talk about protests in Korea (nationalization of textbooks, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.)
    • Professors to talk about this
    • PennThai, M@P, KSA collab (regarding protests)
    • one scholar from singapore
  • Penn Wellness Steering Committee
    • 30 groups and communities across campus who are dedicated to implementing wellness initiatives within their groups. The committee is meant to serve as an outlet for collaboration, idea sharing, and event planning for wellness programming
  • Penn Spectrum Weekend
    • “This conference, taking place September 23-25, 2016, will be bringing our various alumni and student communities together to celebrate and discuss diversity at Penn and beyond.”
    • Luncheon
  • Scholarship
    • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
    • UPAAN wants to sponsor
  • AV Supply - waiting on Peter

 

Vice Chair

    • Kusum Fund
    • Town Hall? Set tone for the year
      • Publicize to all the PAACH arms
      • First half of the meeting

 

  • TD Maya: Put ‘town hall’ on newsletter

 

    • TD EVERYONE: Mark Zahav 9/21 at 8:45 PM

 

 

 

Political

 

  • TD YYG/Brandon - Meet with committee

 

    • Freshmen API issues workshop 9/21
      • General overview of API issues
      • Discussion groups with facilitators
      • Topics: Family, Self, Career, Exploring Internal Issues in Community

 

  • TD Yen-Yen and Andy: Look into dinner for the event

 

  • Salaam Neighbor Film Screening - ASAM UAB 9/26
    • Collaborate with UAB to help advertise
    • Discussions on constant foreignness, xenophobia, islamophobia and the rhetoric in the current election cycle
    • Planning on inviting a Syrian refugee family to attend
  • Why Do APIA issues matter short video- Summer project
    • Short, powerful video
      • Unheard voices; more diversity
      • Survey --- people can take; gauge community awareness of API issues
        • Do you know what model minority myth is? What is an issue affecting this community? ETC.
        • Can use results to show what the state of our community is

 

Constituent

    • TD Maya/Majid: email committee and set up meeting time
      • board/committee event, small social event, help with Majid speaker event

 

  • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
  • TD Maya: put Sylvia’s voter registration in next newsletter

 

    • Robyn - grad school database
      • Similar program to ‘Lunch with a Senior’; Grad + Undergrad mentorship
      • Start database from grad school of different fields - Leave it to undergrads to reach out
      • Best way to disseminate this information?
      • Google form for Grad students to fill out - start to pass along after spring break

 

  • TD Maya: Talk to Robyn about disseminating and organizing this info for a permanent location ??

 

    • Board Mixers
      • Once a month = goal
      • Start over/get feedback??
        • Connect via email
        • TD Maya: Make a form to send to the presidents
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
      • TD Maya/Sarah: coordinate with Sarah to send signup form

 

  • Facebook group

 

        • Externals optional
        • TD Maya: ***FB poll about a President’s ‘Brunch’ and email DO THIS
    • APSC Dollars

 

  • Penn Spectrum Weekend meeting

 

      • https://www.facebook.com/events/248255135561185/ sign up!
      • $10 for students
      • Weekend in September
      • panels, social events, etc.
      • Want a representative from each of the boards if possible for planning
      • Committees for programming (encourage people in the community to apply to those)

 

  • TD Maya: send in newsletter

 

    • Constituent Events
      • attending as many events as possible
      • facebook group link and freeforcoffee link

 

  • TD Maya: restart free for coffee

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Tradition

 

  • TD Andy: ask about budget

 

  • SRFS: Determine if schedule available
  • Budget Analysis
    • See how much we’re allocating to stuff
    • Make apsc spreadsheet
  • Possible Sponsorships?

 

External

 

  • Yuna on September 29th - Still Negotiating
  • TD Majid: Email formally M@P, MSA, Hip Hop Collective,
  • TD Majid: Reach out the Inspiration
  • TD Majid: Submit the App for now

 

      • Babar Harrie - SoundCloud Rapper with a 1000 ish following.

 

  • TD Majid: Figure out Funding

 

  • PAAFF - TD Majid: Reach out to next PAAFF

 

Communications

    • PVP Meeting
    • Fundraising and Community Outreach Committee
      • Decided on one large event for the semester
        • Fundraising: Sent out when2meet

 

  • TD Michelle/Andy: Meet with committee

 

      • Organizations?
  • Start weekly spotlights again
    • Already got 3 nominations and a few submissions
    • Thinking about possibly creating a Facebook event to gain more interest + already made a graphic for it
    • Emailed APSC constituents
    • TD Michelle: Follow up on submissions or nominations for the APSC weekly spotlight
  • Speaker Event / Interview
  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website and sending TDs
  • TD Michelle: Check up on feedback form
  • Photo campaign
    • Highlighting issues in social media
  • Website launch
    • Forum
    • Update non-constituent boards
Board MeetingsBoard APSC