Board Minutes | 1.31.16

APSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda

Sunday, January 31, 2016. 5:00pm EST.

22nd Floor Harrison Lounge

Important Dates

  • GBM 2/3/2016 8PM
  • Townhall 2/7/2016 2-4PM

 

Chair

    • Calendar of Events
    • Meeting with Andy
      • Overall budget
        • $200 misc.
      • New Money
        • $1500
      • New Group Fund, New Collab Fund, Small constituent group fund
        • new group fund: AT&T sponsorship
        • New collab. fund
          • no more than 3 groups collabing (can’t be a large-scale booth)
          • $550
          • $425 left last semester
          • haven’t collabed in past 2 years
            • $35 per group
      • Funding for committees
        • $225
        • $75 a committee
      • Funding for PAACH bi-weekly
        • $25
      • Funding for own events
    • Focus Groups
      • 5 Sign-ups for international student groups
      • No sign-ups for small groups

 

  • TD Sarah: Send forms to Maya
  • TD Michelle: Post on facebook

 

    • Meeting with Viraj
      • program/workshop on Asian American dating. It could cover a broad range of topics, including sex and dating in the APA community at Penn, heteronormativity in the way we talk about dating, consent,

 

  • TD Sarah: Suggest for Dating Workshop in the PAACH Bi-Weekly

 

    • KSA: Activism Across Asia
      • KSA Panel event to talk about protests in Korea (nationalization of textbooks, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.)
      • Professors to talk about this

 

  • TD Sarah: Tell KSA that APSC is on board

 

    • Meeting with Page
      • Set up meeting tomorrow - Sarah will meet with the Co-Chairs (Megan Yan and Julia Slater)
    • AT&T Sponsorship
      • $100 for the campaign and a tablet.
      • New GenerAsian
      • It’s also a reframing; not simply of them as Asian Americans, but part of a broader community of globally-influential individuals.
      • use tablet as prize for an event/social media campaign (competition or raffle)
      • use money for new groups’ events
        • club created in the last 3 years
        • $25 per externally focused event?
          • gain visibility and gain new members
        • sign in sheet available at event for guests who want to be added to the listserv
        • collab with apsc for additional exposure
          • more people to promote
          • wider audience

 

  • TD Michelle: Stay on top of the AT&T Sponsorship

 

    • Meeting with Lawrence
      • We have $1500 dollars extra
      • Don’t touch money until mid-March
        • Talk later about what we can do with the money
        • Money does not roll into Spring to Fall
    • Gallup Strength
      • Viraj Patel
      • Strengthsfinder leadership assessment tool. It’s a great tool based on positive psychology that recognizes the different strengths and talents folks bring to a team, and also teaches folks how to develop and sustain environments that celebrate each other’s talents and facilitate collaboration
      • Majid - we should ask Viraj about examples in the past and how it can help us (sounds cool though)

 

  • TD Sarah: Meet with Viraj to talk more about the Gallup with questions

 

    • Penn Wellness Steering Committee
      • 30 groups and communities across campus who are dedicated to implementing wellness initiatives within their groups. The committee is meant to serve as an outlet for collaboration, idea sharing, and event planning for wellness programming

 

  • TD Sarah: Check with 5B about what we can get out of it

 

    • Penn Spectrum Weekend
      • “This conference, taking place September 23-25, 2016, will be bringing our various alumni and student communities together to celebrate and discuss diversity at Penn and beyond.”
      • Luncheon

 

  • TD Maya: Go to this meeting and represent APSC

 

    • Does Leah want to meet?

 

  • TD Sarah: Talk to 5B about setting up meeting w/ Leah separately

 

    • Meeting with MGC
      • Sarah met with KP, talked with issues that they were facing - similar to 5B
      • Three sub-MGCs among the minority communities
      • Discussion about MGC and what is going on within the community; APSC offers support 5B
    • Big-Little Day
      • Amanda Martinez - mentor and mentees among all constituent groups
      • Put in backburner for now
    • Scholarship
      • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
      • UPAAN wants to sponsor
    • Committees

 

  • TD Everyone: Send in questions for COmmittee

 

    • Online Bias Assessment Report
      • reach out to Chan of VSA
      • start with the Office of Affirmative Action and DPS to learn what Penn’s reporting policies are regarding a number of issues including bias related issues. The Executive Director of the former is Sam Starks and DPS has an advisory board

 

  • TD Sarah: Reach out to Pat Vinh regarding incident reporting
  • TD Sarah: Start emailing VPUL about online bias assessment report
  • TD Sarah: Contact Karu and Gibson

 

  • Bi-weekly PAACH Events
    • open up to one or two collaborating groups
    • TD Sarah: Work closely with Michelle, Maya
  • AV Supply - waiting on Peter
  • Breaking the stigma surrounding sexual violence, sexual relationships, and sexual health
    • TD Sarah: Talk to Tim, Jessica, Kim about these issues

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Gear
      • Jennie gave contact info

 

  • TD Brandon: Send options for designs/types of jackets this week

 

    • ECAASU/ITASA
      • Talked to Peter, created interest form w/ Michelle, want app process for scholarships for ECAASU
      • Transportation: train is best (regional rail/NJ Transit)
      • get clearer idea of what ECAASU was like
        • shift responsibility to Brandon + Michelle
        • $80 to register --- PEER, other orgs can give some money
        • contact people to stay with
        • TD Brandon, Michelle: contact ASAM department + other programs (NSO) // see if we can submit applications for funding // reach out to UPAAN - ICF, T-Change, SPEC, etc. by end of week

 

  • TD Brandon: Figure out housing with Rutgers people - who knows students there?

 

    • focus on things also outside the board
      • Brandon and Maya went to ASPIRE - split up students into facilitated discussions, large group discussions as well
      • APSC guest facilitate: March 19th 2-4 pm - decide what we want to do
      • PEER - David Thai, wait for response
    • expanding on constituent affairs initiatives from last year
      • more informal programming
    • focus more on macro-level beyond constituent groups like PAACH and non-community APIs (See Above)
      • leadership workshop on API issues
      • PEER seems like an arm for mentoring - issue it up in the air
      • ASPIRE - session w/ high school students
        • making mandatory
        • wants APSC to lead a discussion
        • sitting in on meeting (Sat 2-4 ?)
    • work on UPAAN scholarship
      • Trying to revamp, PAACH has maintained a relationship
      • Different types of alumni groups could help us out
      • Paulo Bautista will send out email
      • set up fund to bring apsc alums back to campus
      • Ask Paulo - do they have a list of alums categorized by industry? would he be interested in funding a scholarship that could raise visibility for UPAAN? + possible alum database
      • Met w/ Viraj + Peter regarding alums
      • scholarship for someone that contributes greatly to the apsc community
      • alumni database (send out survey to alums) - we have specific databases for PEER, etc.
      • Collab w/ PAACH for career talks, API career fair w/ corporations

 

  • TD Brandon: followup with Paulo for more ideas, talk to PAACH about alumni database

 

      • Peter/Viraj will try to come to townhall
    • Meeting with Penn Women’s Center
      • Keep in contact with Tim and Brittany on email
      • Brittany hasn’t responded, TD Brandon: send followup
    • Meetings with APSC Board Members
      • want to hold 1-1 with all of board
      • starting early next semester

 

  • TD Brandon: Send out this week’s pairings

 

    • Meetings with PAACH Program Chairs
      • APALI, Aspire, Peer, PAACH staff
      • APALI: teas every Friday - we could help?
    • Meeting with PAACH to contact alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN
    • Peter - speaker through PAACH (Mia Yamamoto) - work with Japanese American center and LGBT center: speaking March 31st
    • TD Brandon: Check out Civic Houses discussion
      • Feb 2

 

  • TD Sarah/Brandon: Meeting about alumni engagement

 

 

Political

  • University Council Seat Turnover - successful!
  • Making spreadsheet - other “APSC” groups outside of us
    • talk with them about their specific groups / what they do
    • possible collaborations
    • TD Yen-Yen: Meet w/ Temple ASA
  • CDUS
    • Analyzed data for CDUS
    • Faculty Lunch in Feb 29 - Heather Williams and Grace Kao-- faculty come in and talk about teaching preferences
  • Working with other 5B groups to have a conference to discuss self-segregation/5B Week
    • introductory thing for freshmen in the future
    • 5B very open to this idea
  • Integration with the other 5B groups and other cultural centers
    • 5B meetings - Sarah, Yen-Yen, Majid
      • Brandon focusing more on internal initiatives
  • Lunch with a Senior program within the 5B and other cultural groups
  • UA Steering GBM
  • PAACH Programming
    • TD Yen-Yen: Meet with Peter and Viraj to check on PAACH programming
    • TD Yen-Yen: Meet with APALI facilitators to see where they are at with their weekly programming initiative - Tea with APALI
    • TD Yen-Yen: Organized Calendar of all events planned in PAACH with Peter and Viraj
      • 2-3 PM Fridays
    • PAACH/APSC/ASAM History Jeopardy
      • constituent groups can sign up as teams
      • small prizes
      • aim for feb
      • TD Yen-Yen: talk to Lambda about Family Feud event

 

Constituent

    • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
      • launched - most successful launch
      • Maya will meet with founder to talk more about it
      • FreeForCoffee: Have APSC website running - join via link
        • https://www.freeforcoffee.com/apsc
    • Board Mixers
      • Once a month = goal

 

  • TD Maya: set up mixers for february

 

      • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1D3SbDxthRZBy4ZoN_yZ9LLdFDahqd66iOiNeZxAIRPQ/viewform
        • Connect via email
        • Made a form to send to the presidents
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
      • fireside chat tie in
      • first one happened
    • Facebook groups
    • Townhall
      • introduce everyone to each other
      • Outline - focus on personal interaction
        • 1 on 1 icebreaker with questions - cool events and visions for groups
        • Team building activities for people to interact with each other
        • Small group discussions with APSC board members facilitating
        • Important Announcements and Questions
          • Go over all our initiatives and plans for the year

 

  • TD Majid: Double Check with Valerie De Cruz if he can miss AU Session on Sunday
  • TD Maya: talk to Andy and Kusum about food

 

    • APSC Dollars

 

  • TD Maya: update spreadsheet
  • TD Brandon and Maya: print and email rules

 

  • Constituent Events
    • attending as many events as possible
    • facebook group link and freeforcoffee link

 

Finance

    • QPenn Funding
      • TD Andy: Respond to the QPenn email
    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Tradition
    • TD Andy: Making info sheet
    • Budget Analysis (lawrence completed)
      • We funded more in the fall semester than we have in the past
      • Budgeted ~$700 to constituent fund, ~$550 guaranteed fund
      • UA Contingency funded us twice (keep for APALI next year)
    • TD Andy: FInish powerpoint & then brochure; Funding resource summaries + funding guidelines on APSC website
    • TD Andy: Funding workshop organization - make sure all are there at next GBM
    • TD Andy: contacting other treasurers (once they update their info)
    • TD Sarah: Include funding workshop in next email before GBM
    • TD Andy, Michelle: Contact treasurers/presidents regarding next workshop
    • Treasurer Workshop
    • TD Andy: Aaisha, treasurer workshop respond to email

 

  • TD Andy: tell PTS HKSA APSC to push it til next GBM

 

    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Delta

 

  • TD Andy: followup with Delta

 

 

External

    • TD Brandon: Look into project initiative database
    • APIs in media with PAAF film series
      • reached out --- currently discussing
        • Sangam, Penn Cinema Initiatives
        • Feb 7 or Feb 14
        • Talking w/ PAAF director (discussion) - Ricki’s Promise (movie)
        • TD Majid: Collab with Matt to bring in comedians (David So, Dan Nainan)
        • early Feb - Dan confirmed
          • comedy night in March
        • Feb/March - bring in Keli Lee (casting for ABC)
          • meeting w/ UME programmer
    • want to talk to other externals of coalitions to do semester-long initiatives
      • finished at retreat
    • talk to PRISM about how to educate constituents
      • talked a little bit to Steve
      • student run version --- talk to APALI about this
      • skype call between APALI facilitator, student, etc.
      • TD Majid: Get APALI facilitators, iBelieve TA,
    • PTS, HKSA, etc. Speaker Event
    • MSA Collaboration
    • 5B statement about anti-muslim attacks
      • DP editorial piece
    • getting feedback on events
      • after event, create google form for groups
      • sending out form before next GBM - talk about this feedback at the meetings
        • suggestion box (?)
        • right after GBM
        • End of semester - What did you enjoy from the semester / How can we improve

 

  • IDEA: Majid Can Make a Presentation Around Team Dynamics from his MGMT Class

 

    • PAAFF
      • February
      • Wednesday February 17th 6 PM Harrison Screening room

 

  • TD Majid and Andy: look into arch 108 for movie screening
  • TD Majid and Andy: ask about food

 

      • TD Majid and Andy: ask ASAM and cinema studies department to offer extra credit
      • tried to get director to come

 

  • TD Majid and Andy: clarify with PAAFF whether director needs to be notified
  • TD Majid and Michelle: setup private fb event with (generic) cover photo for Series

 

      • Sangam is going to help with marketing, after that can get involved in discussions
      • small discussion with PAAF or director
      • academic acquisition to get dvds - petitioning library to acquire rights to specific film
        • Van Pelt allows - can utilize for future events
      • March
      • keeping it at the same month and time
      • in the gbm before, ask them what movie they want
    • Speakers
      • PTS, HKSA, Collab

 

  • TD Majid: Tell Isabel ECAASU Around Same Time
  • TD Michelle (with Majid’s Direction): Create Cover Photo for Asian Americans in Entertainment Series

 

      • Dan Nainan
      • looking at CAPE for other speaker ideas
      • Keli Lee
        • got template from UME
        • lists prestigious names UME brought in the past
        • speaker series
        • think about creating APSC’s own list (with a Watermark?)

 

  • TD: Mention APSC’s previous Speakers, and then say “Our Collaborator UME has also brought an illustrous list of people”
  • TD Michelle: create google form for speaker suggestions on website

 

    • Muslim-related Initiatives
      • Visit MSA Board Meeting with 5B member(s)
        • Tuesday 8-9
        • bring non-Muslim 5B members
      • Statement in 5B

 

  • TD Majid: email out to 5B
  • TC Majid: email out to MAG

 

      • MAG Meeting First
        • fairly diverse group
        • more facilitation of a discussion

 

  • TD Majid: talk to Viraj and apali grads about facilitation
  • TD Majid: Let MAG and MSA Know Meeting with Amy Guttman
  • I Believe
  • TD Majid: Set meetings with Muslim APALI grads and iBelieve Gras

 

 

Communications

  • (Made the new stuff in red for now, just so you guys know) // IF SOMETHING DOESN’T MAKE SENSE I’LL JUST EXPLAIN NEXT WEEK :(((
  • AT&T Sponsorship - 2016 New GenerAsian
    • February 15th Launch Date - Will start looking for possible people to feature
  • ECAASU - Made event, gauged interest
    • TD Michelle: Submit sponsorship form w/ Brandon for the Year of Discovery
  • Social Media
    • Mondays
  • TD Michelle: Board Spotlights posting on Facebook (starting this week one a day)
  • PVP Meeting
    • Had retreat where groups were brought in from sports, fraternities etc.
      • not enough awareness in other age groups (not just freshmen) about issues (mental health)
      • trying to find ways to implement mental health in sports and greek life
    • Attending PVP meeting this week!
  • Meeting w/ Peter
    • Discussed our vision meeting
    • Regarding API mental health
      • Talk to Asian Americans in CAPS
    • Develop connections with all media outlets
      • Within Penn: (Newspapers like the DP, Media & Entertainment, etc.)
        • Potentially highlight API students in the DP
      • Outside of Penn: Develop skill of how to develop a press release; public statements
      • Pipeline for stories of API students on campus
      • Promoting ASAM Department
    • Archival System - Video Vlog, etc.
  • Start weekly spotlights again
    • Already got 3 nominations and a few submissions
    • Thinking about possibly creating a Facebook event to gain more interest + already made a graphic for it
  • TD Michelle: Ask for highlights for weekly spotlights again
    • Emailed APSC constituents - TD: Follow up on submissions or nominations for the APSC weekly spotlight
    • Was thinking of starting mid-February but there is also the AT&T Sponsorship on Instagram, so maybe the weekly spotlights should wait ???????
  • TD Michelle, Sarah: Finish making the Powerpoint for the GBM on Wednesday
  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website
  • TD Michelle: Sending TDs - Have them be due by Thursday
    • photo campaign
    • highlighting issues in social media
    • website launch
      • TD Michelle: Update feedback form (Not working properly in some cases; might find a new interface)
      • Forum
      • update non-constituent boards
    • APSC Snapchat Idea - still want to do this! Maybe I can just make one and provide the QR code at the next GBM and so members can start to use it?
      • question of whether to keep APSC snapchat to our board (as in when we attend events we use it) or to open up to all community members so that they can snap their own events ??????
      • February 17th GBM
    • combatting stigmas with mental health
    • make APSC more of a safe space by increasing discussion (broadening topics) to non-API issues
    • make APSC more fun - too administrative
      • like the bacon ice breaker
      • bonding activities
        • take APSC liaisons to eat
        • people would be more open
        • bonfire chats

 

  • TD Michelle: start working on brochure for APSC resources

 

 

Discussion

    • GBM Planning
      • Icebreaker

 

  • TD Maya: create icebreaker

 

      • 5B
        • LC
        • UMC

 

  • TD Sarah: follow up with other 5B

 

      • Announcements
      • Sarah
        • Committee System
          • Committee Funding
        • Lunch with Amy Guttman Recap
        • Meeting with MGC and Page
        • AT&T Sponsorship
          • New Generasian

 

  • Vote

 

        • Google form for speakers/movies
      • Brandon
        • ECAASU
        • UPAAN
      • Maya
        • PAACH Biweekly Event Recap
          • PPA X APSC: Tagalog Table
          • Feedback Form (Michelle)
        • Freeforcoffee Recap
        • Townhall
        • Board Mixers
        • APSC Dollars
      • Andy
        • Treasurer workshop
        • Funding Brochure
        • Budget Details
          • New Collaborations

 

  • Vote

 

      • Majid
        • PAAFF Movie Screenings
        • 5B statement
          • regarding issues that happened last semester  around Anti Muslim Rhetoric (solidarity statement)

 

  • Delibs and Vote

 

        • Muslim Advisory Group (MAG)
      • Funding App
        • Mochi Fest
        • Chai Chat
        • Lunar New year
      • Constituent Announcements
    • Townhall Discussion Questions
      • Announcements
      • Discussion Questions
        • Split it up between APSC Board discussion groups
        • Chair, Political, External
        • Vice Chair, Constituents
        • Finance, Communications

 

  • TD Everyone: Set aside 9:30-10:30 to discuss the town hall; start working with discussion partners to come up with questions
  • TD Maya: time outline of specific activities

 

    • AU
    • Committee System
      • Next Sunday
      • 3 committees
        • Education and awareness - Yen-Yen, Brandon
        • The Education and Awareness committee will be tasked with the responsibility of raising awareness of issues relevant both inside and outside the API community on both the Penn-specific level as well as the national level.  Their chief duties will include synthesizing and facilitating discussions during GBM meetings and creating panel events and other related programming.
          • Speaker events, raising awareness for issues // Assess each event
          • Issues specific to Penn and more national
          • Panels, discussion groups
          • Lead discussions, presentations at GBMs
        • Fundraising & Community Outreach - Andy, Michelle
        • The Fundraising and community outreach committee will be delegated the responsibility of planning and executing fundraising events for APSC as well as finding and marketing community service programs and events to all of our constituents.  
          • Fundraising - own initiatives (holding fundraisers)
          • Local areas, charity aspect
            • Asian Arts Initiative, etc.
          • i.e. Ramen night
          • distribute tasks
          • retain accountability
        • Social + Large Event Programming - Maya, Majid
        • The social and large event programming will assist ASPC in executing their large events including speaker events and showcases.  The committee will also have leeway to create it’s own social programming including mixers, study breaks, and other smaller community-oriented events.
          • Social - own initiatives (field trip, concert, etc.)
          • Large event programming --- support’s Majid’s initiatives
        • 2-3 people a committee
        • Interview a chair for each committee → come to Sunday meetings
        • Smaller committees --- less people to look over

 

  • TD Sarah: Work on specific paragraphs for committee system + sample form (overall purpose of committees also)
  • TD Everyone: For your committee, think of one question you want for your applicant

 

  • Probation and Strike System

 

Board MeetingsBoard APSC