Board Minutes | 1.24.16

APSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda

Sunday, January 24, 2016. 5:00pm EST.

20th Floor Harrison Lounge

 

Important Dates

  • Laws without Morals are Vain: Open Expression - January 26th 4-6 PM
  • ASAM: Vietnam War and Asian America - January 29th 12-1 PM
  • Board Restaurant Week 1/27 - 8:15
  • 1-1 Meetings
  • PPA Collab Friday 1/29

 

Chair

 

  • Talk to PAACH about bi-weekly events and flesh out schedule
  • TD Sarah: Send out final list of dates, office hours, focus group sign ups + ask for possible points to bring up at president’s lunch
  • TD Maya: Ask Sabino regarding possible collab w/ PPA

 

    • Does Leah want to meet?

 

  • TD Sarah: Talk to 5B about setting up meeting w/ Leah separately
  • Open Expression Blurb

 

    • Meeting with Valerie
      • brought up PAGE
      • maybe this year - start working heavily with PAGE (& bring into 5B?)

 

  • TD Sarah: Set up meeting w/ PAGE + let 5B know later

 

    • President’s lunch
    • LC GBM
      • PowerPoint at GBM

 

  • TD Sarah, Michelle: Next GBM PPT setup
  • SAC Fair

 

      • last minute contacting = less turnout
    • Meetings with other organizations
      • 5B, MGC, Prism, other PAACH programs (ASPIRE, APALI, ASAM, PEER), UA, API members of UA, Graduate Organizations, Panhellenic, IFC
      • Met with all of 5B before break

 

  • TD Sarah: Meet with KP for MGC, Meet with last of 5B who were abroad

 

    • Start during reading days
      • Before end of year - 5B, MGC, Prism
      • Brandon - PAACH programs
  • Meetings with all presidents
    • Feel that APSC fosters a strong sense of community

 

      • List of ideas
        • Office hours on Friday (2 hours for help/talking)

 

  • TD Sarah: Set up office hours

 

        • Alienation of smaller groups and/or international groups
          • Create focus group for these groups (get volunteers from these groups to gauge what they might want)

 

  • TD Sarah: Set up focus groups for underrepresented groups

 

        • Add list of resources to APSC Website
        • Committee system - maybe add a Social Committee
        • At GBMs: Print out formalized copy of Maya’s email rather than go around and announce  (to save time)

 

  • TD Sarah: Print out Maya’s email + schedule for this week’s GBM

 

        • Possible changes in funding
          • Greater funding for smaller groups or newer groups
          • More funding for groups that haven’t collaborated in a while

 

  • TD Andy: Think about these changes in funding for various groups

 

        • Discussion on how to increase attendance at constituent group events at future GBM
        • Have group spotlight at PAACH (Poster showcasing different group)
        • Invite reps from 5B to speak about their coalitions at GBM
        • WongFu Movie screening at PAACH
    • Scholarship
      • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
      • UPAAN wants to sponsor
    • Committees
    • Online Bias Assessment Report

 

  • TD Sarah: Start emailing VPUL about online bias assessment report

 

      • TD Sarah: Contact Karu and Gibson
    • Bi-weekly PAACH Events
      • open up to one or two collaborating groups

 

  • TD Sarah: Work closely with Michelle, Maya

 

    • AV Supply - waiting on Peter
    • Breaking the stigma surrounding sexual violence, sexual relationships, and sexual health

 

  • TD Sarah: Talk to Tim, Jessica, Kim about these issues

 

 

Vice Chair

    • ECAASU/ITASA
      • get clearer idea of what ECAASU was like
        • shift responsibility to Brandon + Michelle
        • $80 to register --- PEER, other orgs can give some money
        • contact people to stay with
        • TD Brandon, Michelle: contact ASAM department + other programs // see if we can submit applications for funding // reach out to UPAAN
    • focus on things also outside the board
    • expanding on constituent affairs initiatives from last year
      • more informal programming
    • focus more on macro-level beyond constituent groups like PAACH and non-community APIs
      • leadership workshop on API issues
      • PEER seems like an arm for mentoring - issue it up in the air
      • ASPIRE - session w/ high school students
        • making mandatory
        • wants APSC to lead a discussion
        • sitting in on meeting (Sat 2-4 ?)
    • work on UPAAN scholarship

 

  • Paulo Bautista will send out email

 

      • set up fund to bring apsc alums back to campus
      • TD Brandon: ask Paulo - do they have a list of alums categorized by industry? would he be interested in funding a scholarship that could raise visibility for UPAAN? + possible alum database

 

  • TD Brandon: Meeting w/ Viraj + Peter regarding alums

 

      • scholarship for someone that contributes greatly to the apsc community
      • alumni database (send out survey to alums)
    • Meeting with Penn Women’s Center

 

  • TD Sarah, Brandon, Yen-Yen: Keep in contact with Tim and Brittany on email

 

    • Meetings with APSC Board Members
      • want to hold 1-1 with all of board
      • starting early next semester
      • TD Brandon: Send email this coming week for 1-1s + give out pairings for 1-1 meals
    • Meetings with PAACH Program Chairs
      • APALI, Aspire, Peer, PAACH staff
    • Weekly One-on-one Meals
      • next semester - set out pairings per week
    • Meeting with PAACH to contact alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN

 

  • TD Brandon: Set up meeting with Viraj, Peter regarding alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN

 

  • TD Brandon: Check out Civic Houses discussion
    • Feb 2
  • APSC Dollars
    • Winner of this semester (PTS) got money, etc.
    • Figure out way to restructure APSC dollars

Board Gear and Restaurant Week?

    • Dinner Wed (8:15 PM)
  • Lunar New Year
    • PTS, HKSA, CSA, PennLions planning a event
    • Feb 6
      • Cultural events + Show
      • Booths from various groups (groups get some money to organize their booth

 

Political

    • University Council Seat Turnover - successful!
    • Making spreadsheet - other “APSC” groups outside of us
      • talk with them about their specific groups / what they do
      • possible collaborations

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Meet w/ Temple ASA

 

    • CDUS
      • Analyzed data for CDUS
      • Faculty Lunch in Feb 29 - Heather Williams and Grace Kao-- faculty come in and talk about teaching preferences
    • Working with other 5B groups to have a conference to discuss self-segregation/5B Week
      • introductory thing for freshmen in the future
      • 5B very open to this idea
    • Integration with the other 5B groups and other cultural centers
      • 5B meetings - Sarah, Yen-Yen, Majid
        • Brandon focusing more on internal initiatives
    • Lunch with a Senior program within the 5B and other cultural groups
    • UA Steering GBM
    • PAACH Programming

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Meet with Peter and Viraj to check on PAACH programming
  • TD Yen-Yen: Meet with APALI facilitators to see where they are at with their weekly programming initiative - Tea with APALI

 

    • TD Yen-Yen: Organized Calendar of all events planned in PAACH with Peter and Viraj
      • 2-3 PM Fridays
    • PAACH/APSC/ASAM History Jeopardy
      • constituent groups can sign up as teams
      • small prizes
      • aim for feb
      • TD Yen-Yen: talk to Lambda about Family Feud event

 

Constituent

    • Directory
      • Boards that are turning over are filling it out
      • TD Maya: Bug PPS with emails to fill out directory!!!!!!!!!
    • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
      • FreeForCoffee: Have APSC website running - join via link
        • https://www.freeforcoffee.com/apsc
    • Board Mixers

 

  • TD Maya: Develop more concrete plan for board mixers before next semester

 

      • Once a month = goal
      • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1D3SbDxthRZBy4ZoN_yZ9LLdFDahqd66iOiNeZxAIRPQ/viewform
        • Connect via email
        • Made a form to send to the presidents
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
      • fireside chat tie in
    • Facebook groups
    • Townhall
      • introduce everyone to each other

 

  • TD Maya, Brandon: Work on Townhall logistics

 

    • APSC Dollars
    • Constituent Events
      • attending as many events as possible
      • include mental health hosting/asam lunch/5B event
      • women’s speak - catcalling/street harassment
      • facebook group link and freeforcoffee link

 

  • TD Sarah: Put in all meetings into APSC Board calendar

 

 

Finance

    • QPenn Funding

 

  • TD Andy: Respond to the QPenn email

 

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
    • Just had 3rd transition meeting w/ Lawrence
    • TD Andy: Making info sheet
    • Budget Analysis (lawrence completed)
      • We funded more in the fall semester than we have in the past
      • Budgeted ~$700 to constituent fund, ~$550 guaranteed fund
      • UA Contingency funded us twice (keep for APALI next year)

 

  • TD Sarah: Talk to Lawrence about the UA Contingency funding
  • TD Sarah, Andy: Set up meeting regarding budget for future

 

    • TD Andy: FInish powerpoint & then brochure; Funding resource summaries + funding guidelines on APSC website

 

  • TD Andy: Funding workshop organization - make sure all are there at next GBM

 

    • TD Andy: contacting other treasurers (once they update their info)

 

  • TD Sarah: Include funding workshop in next email before GBM
  • TD Andy, Michelle: Contact treasurers/presidents regarding next workshop

 

  • Treasurer Workshop
  • Corporate Sponsorship
    • Delta
    • Waiting for Delta to email back

 

External

 

  • TD Sarah: Include doc for initiatives in email
  • TD Brandon: Look into project initiative database

 

    • APIs in media with PAAF film series

 

  • TD Majid: Reach out regarding PAAF / Follow up with possible events

 

        • reached out --- currently discussing
        • Sangam, Penn Cinema Initiatives
        • Feb 7 or Feb 14
        • Talking w/ PAAF director (discussion) - Ricki’s Promise (movie)

 

  • TD Majid: Set up meetings with Sangam, PCI for the event (Screening, materials, etc.)
  • TD Majid: Collab with Matt to bring in comedians (David So, Dan Nainan)

 

        • early Feb - Dan confirmed
          • comedy night in March
        • Feb/March - bring in Keli Lee (casting for ABC)
          • meeting w/ UME programmer

 

  • TD Majid: Send UME template to rest of board

 

    • want to talk to other externals of coalitions to do semester-long initiatives
      • finished at retreat
    • talk to PRISM about how to educate constituents
      • talked a little bit to Steve
      • student run version --- talk to APALI about this
      • skype call between APALI facilitator, student, etc.
      • TD Majid: Get APALI facilitators, reach out to various alums (going through current list)
    • PTS, HKSA, etc. Speaker Event
      • met with Isabel
        • Last weekend in Feb (27?)

 

  • TD Everyone: Make calendar to keep track of everything / initiatives

 

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Help Majid with drafting statement

 

    • TD Majid: Sending statement to Muslim leaders + figure out which groups would sign on
  • getting feedback on events
    • after event, create google form for groups
    • sending out form before next GBM - talk about this feedback at the meetings
      • suggestion box (?)
      • right after GBM
      • End of semester - What did you enjoy from the semester / How can we improve

 

Communications

    • Social Media
      • Mondays
    • TD Michelle: Board Spotlights posting on Facebook (starting this week one a day)
    • PVP Meeting
      • Had retreat where groups were brought in from sports, fraternities etc.
        • not enough awareness in other age groups (not just freshmen) about issues (mental health)
        • trying to find ways to implement mental health in sports and greek life
    • Meeting w/ Peter
    • Start weekly spotlights again:

 

  • TD MIchelle: Ask for highlights for weekly spotlights again

 

    • General constituent email is? (apsc constituents)
    • Do through facebook page for nominations
  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website
  • TD Michelle: Sending TDs - Have them be due by Thursday
    • photo campaign
    • highlighting issues in social media
    • website launch
      • figure out how to add feedback form, etc.
      • TD Michelle: Make feedback form for first GBM + Greek Chat
      • Forum
      • update non-constituent boards

 

  • TD Brandon: Find out who the boards are

 

  • combatting stigmas with mental health
  • make APSC more of a safe space by increasing discussion (broadening topics) to non-API issues
  • make APSC more fun - too administrative
    • like the bacon ice breaker
    • bonding activities
      • take APSC liaisons to eat
      • people would be more open
      • bonfire chats

 

Discussion

    • Committee System
      • Next Sunday
      • 3 committees
        • Education and awareness - Yen-Yen, Brandon
        • The Education and Awareness committee will be tasked with the responsibility of raising awareness of issues relevant both inside and outside the API community on both the Penn-specific level as well as the national level.  Their chief duties will include synthesizing and facilitating discussions during GBM meetings and creating panel events and other related programming.
          • Speaker events, raising awareness for issues // Assess each event
          • Issues specific to Penn and more national
          • Panels, discussion groups
          • Lead discussions, presentations at GBMs
        • Fundraising & Community Outreach - Andy, Michelle
          • Fundraising - own initiatives (holding fundraisers)
          • Local areas, charity aspect
            • Asian Arts Initiative, etc.
          • i.e. Ramen night
          • distribute tasks
          • retain accountability
        • Social + Large Event Programming - Maya, Majid
          • Social - own initiatives (field trip, concert, etc.)
          • Large event programming --- support’s Majid’s initiatives
        • 2-3 people a committee
        • Interview a chair for each committee → come to Sunday meetings
        • Smaller committees --- less people to look over

 

  • TD Sarah: Work on specific paragraphs for committee system + sample form (overall purpose of committees also)
  • TD Everyone: For your committee, think of one question you want for your applicant
  • TD Everyone: Think about committee system before SUNDAY

 

  • Townhall
    • In the past: Discussed specific initiatives, constituent relations
    • Invited presidents and externals & focus on them first
    • Small group → Lead discussion
    • Google form → Find topics that they want to discuss
    • ~Early Feb: 2 hours (Sunday?)
    • Discussion topics
      • Intergroup interaction (board mixers, etc.)
      • Bi-weekly discussions
      • Larger issues in the API community
Board MeetingsBoard APSC