12/2/15 Board Meeting Minutes

APSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda Tuesday, December 2, 2015. 9:00pm EST.

11th Floor Rodin Lounge

What is APSC?

  • Our mission, your experience, and tips and tricks
  • Albert: central Asian identity on campus to unite groups
    • Come up with small tangible things to do
  • Lawrence: stay internally motivated to serve the community
    • Think beyond your positions in terms of what you want to achieve on APSC
    • 6 things APSC does - S.P.A.C.E.S.
      • Support to constituent groups
      • Programming (having events to celebrate culture + beyond)
      • Administration (liaison between undergraduate community and admins)
      • Community
      • External (broader API underrepresented communities)
      • Setting (providing setting for community to voice concerns, issues)
  • Jin: symbolic importance of APSC (lot of schools don’t have an organization like us)
    • work that you do goes so much farther than yourself
  • Luke: recognize that everyone in the APSC community has a voice
    • smaller communities matter too
  • Jennie: try to get to know board :)
    • mutual passions → drive everyone even more
    • getting to know the leaders on campus
    • most rewarding experience = getting to know the community + board
  • Sarah: sometimes it gets stressful, but you need to keep actively fighting the status quo
    • board is here for you!
    • be fully committed to APSC
    • incredible board = incredible year

What is the 5B?

  • 5 Boards that serve as umbrella organizations for minority groups, APSC, UMOJA, LC, Lambda Alliance, UMC
    • we meet with administrators as a solidified front

Expectations

  • Priorities
  • Communication
  • Work Deliberately
  • Standard of Excellence
  • Give it your all

Updates

Important Dates

  • First GBM: December 2nd 8 PM
  • UMC Election: December 2nd 6 PM
  • Table Talk: December 4th at 3 PM
  • Vision Meeting: December 4th 4 PM
  • Deadline for Transition Meetings: December 5th
  • Board Spotlights:December 4th 7 PM
  • First Board Bonding Event: December 8th 9:30 PM

Speeches and Applications

  • Brandon - VC Internal
    • Bring awareness of API issues back to the coalition
      • Political awareness at all meetings
      • Not just icebreakers, funding
      • integrate PAACH with other associated programs - meetings with PAACH staff, etc. to update each other on state of community
      • Education initiatives - more alumni, ASAM101 meeting
    • Foster leadership for underclassmen
      • LEAP - committees integrated into APSC (help with programming, direct interaction, etc)
      • More events for people new to the API community
    • Board transparency
      • More open with initiatives + what we do behind the scenes at GBMs
      • input from constituent groups on decisions
      • Consistent feedback + discussion
      • More bonding events
      • Facilitating work of all members (working together more)
  • Yen Yen - VC Political
    • Engagement with administration
      • Data disaggregation
      • Voice for community on boards
      • United front with minority organizations
    • APSC = source of funding to many
      • Political awareness
      • Online feedback form - Ideas for discussion topics
    • Integrate more with other cultural centers
      • Coordinate mixers - do something similar to Lunch w/ a Senior (pairings)
  • Maya - VC Constituent Affairs
    • Foster greater sense of community
    • APSC seen as funding board → APSC as community
      • Restructure GBM to involve constituent groups more - more discussion on relevant API issues
    • APSC Dollar initiative - award points for attending other groups’ events only
    • Lunch with a senior revamped
    • Reintroduce board mixers - less formal settings to get to know each other (between different groups)
    • Meeting between APSC liaisons, external, etc
      • create Facebook page (useful forum)
  • Andy - VC Finance
    • Have more funding resource transparency
    • Finance workshop at beginning of semester + refresher workshop in Fall
    • Having something simpler than the pages and pages of funding app process (condense)
    • Greek life initiative - lack of API presence in sororities/fraternities
      • Many members of API community do not have exposure to the potential benefits of Greek Life
  • Majid - VC External
    • Reach out - Philly Asian American Film Fest
    • Bringing in API in entertainment as individuals to talk about their experiences / issues they faced as minorities in this specific industry
    • Not just bringing in performers, but also writers, producers, etc. (anyone in entertainment)
      • Alumni in those positions
      • Collaborating w/ local organizations
    • Reconvene with APALI class  - ECAASU
    • Mentoring experience for underclassmen - ECAASU
    • 5B collaboration - collaborate with 1 of the 5B deeply on a series of initiatives
      • between directors of PAACH, Makuu, La Casa Latina on how they educate their constituency (APALI, This I Believe)
  • Michelle- VC Communications
    • Keep everything updated
      • people want to know when things are happening to get involved
    • Revamping the website with wordpress
      • having a “report” throughout the year showing off what apsc does, legitimize us to others.
    • having a snapchat/social media for the entire APA community
    • mental health: safe space
      • having events on a less formal setting.
    • Bonfire chats
    • Bridging gaps between cultural groups
  • Sarah - Chair
    • Prove to the community why APSC is important to you / why you’re important to APSC
    • Potential to be an embracing community
    • Community building
    • Improve visibility, transparency, relevancy
    • Online bias assessment report - report incidents
    • Appoint committee chairs (would attend all board meetings)
    • APSC Scholarship - give back to those who gave a lot to us
    • Better documentation w/ photos + videos
    • Large-scale programming
    • Greater collaboration with constituent groups
    • 5B - equipment for cheaper price
    • Opening up safe dialogue about sexual health/violence
    • Integrate entire constituency better → Better awareness

 

Chair

    • Transition Meeting
    • Send out APSC PAACH history essay
    • TD Sarah: send out history essay
    • Google Drive
      • Ongoing Projects
    • 5B Elections
    • TD Sarah: will meet with other chairs
    • TD Majid: Let Sarah know if you can accompany her to meetings
    • 2 on 1 Meetings
    • PAACH Dinner
      • TD Andy: Go to PAACH Monthly Dinner
      • TD Sarah: Reply to Peter - Andy is going
    • Meetings with other organizations
      • MGC, Prism, other PAACH programs (ASPIRE, APALI, ASAM, PEER), UA, API members of UA, Graduate Organizations, Panhellenic, IFC
    • Meetings with all presidents
      • TD Brandon and Maya: get turnover schedule
      • TD Maya: Update Sarah w/ groups that have already turned over
    • Vision Meeting
      • 1st hour: talk about issues and vision
      • 2nd hour: talk about initiatives and individual ideas
      • 3rd hour: rough schedule
    • Meeting Assignments
    • Freshman list serv to MGC president’
      • TD Brandon: Contact K Park for freshman listserv
    • Scholarship
      • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
      • UPAAN wants to sponsor
    • Committees
    • Online Bias Assessment Report
    • Bi-weekly PAACH Events
    • AV Supply
    • Breaking the stigma surrounding sexual violence, sexual relationships, and sexual health
    • Takeaways
    • TD Sarah: Forward Michelle email with GBM dates
    • VPUL Chart
      • TD for Sarah: ask jin to Send out updated VPUL chart to board
      • Chart maps out relations in VPUL, get a good sense of who they are

Vice Chair

  • Transition Meeting
  • Board Social
    • Brandon’s apartment in Harrison
      • TD EVERYONE: Bring games!!!!
    • Meeting with Unelected Candidates
      • have talked to a few already (interested in being involved)
      • focus on things also outside the board
    • expanding on constituent affairs initiatives from last year
      • more informal programming
    • focus more on macro-level beyond constituent groups like PAACH and non-community APIs
      • leadership workshop on API issues
    • work on UPAAN scholarship
      • TD Brandon: Contact Paulo Bautista
    • Social/Food Preference Survey
      • TD Brandon: See what board likes to do socially + food preferences
    • Meeting with Penn Women’s Center
      • TD Sarah, Brandon, Yen-Yen: Fill out when2meet, keep in contact with Tim and Brittany on email

Political

  • Transition Meeting
  • University Council Seat Turnover
    • Going to GBM Monday / getting interviewed
  • Making spreadsheet - other “APSC” groups outside of us
    • talk with them about their specific groups / what they do
    • possible collaborations
  • Meeting other political chairs
  • Open forum on the discussion of self-segregation
  • Working with other 5B groups to have a conference to discuss self-segregation
  • Integration with the other 5B groups and other cultural centers
  • Lunch with a Senior program within the 5B and other cultural groups

Constituent

    • Transition Meeting
    • Directory
      • Boards that are turning over are filling it out
      • TD Maya: Bug people with emails to fill out directory
    • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
    • Revamped Lunch w/ Senior program
      • FreeForCoffee: Have APSC website running - join via link
        • https://www.freeforcoffee.com/apsc
      • maybe do this next semester (?)
      • TD Everyone: Join website & check out how it works
      • Facebook event - to launch this
      • Wrap up Lunch with a Senior - last meetings before break
    • Board Mixers
      • wait until next semester
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
      • fireside chat tie in
      • TD Maya: Check out Civic Houses discussion
    • Facebook groups
      • Wait to create Facebook group until more boards turnover
    • Townhall
    • APSC Dollars
      • Winner of this semester
      • Figure out way to restructure APSC dollars
    • Constituent Events
      • attending as many events as possible

 

 

Finance

    • Transition Meeting
      • talked to Kusum
      • walked Lawrence do budget
      • saw budget for this year + all the things that APSC has funded
      • got sense of monetary distribution
      • got sense of funding at GBMs
    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
    • TD Andy: Making info sheet
    • Budget Analysis
    • TD Andy: Over winter break - condense brochure on the website
    • TD Andy: Funding workshop organization
    • TD Andy: Funding resource summaries + funding guidelines on APSC website
    • TD Andy: contacting other treasurers (once they update their info)
    • Treasurer Workshop
    • Greek Life Panel
      • TD Andy: start figuring out booking a room by next week
      • TD Andy: find collaborating groups before winter break (panhell ifc, mgc (kp)
      • TD Everyone: Update Andy with possible people to contact in these Greek Life groups
      • find people + talk to people informally
      • get freshmen/sophs to come to the panel/discussion
      • TD Andy and Maya: Talk about the SAS Mix & Mentor event to get ideas
      • TD Andy: Reach out to Michelle for marketing materials + yourself for food
    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Delta

External

    • Transition Meeting
    • 5B Elections
      • UMC’s election tomorrow
    • APIs in media with PAAF film series
      • TD Majid: Reach out regarding PAAF / Follow up with possible events
      • TD Majid: Collab with Matt to bring in comedians (David So, Dan Nainan)
        • TD Sarah: reach out to director to reach out to David So
    • ECAASU
      • get clearer idea of what ECAASU was like
      • TD Majid: Talk to Sarah + Lawrence about ECAASU and what it was like
    • want to talk to other externals of coalitions to do semester-long initiatives
    • TD Majid: come to 5B meetings + follow up on Sarah to see if he can come to the other meetings
    • TD Sarah: Set up GroupMe once UMC elections are done + set up meeting time
    • talk to PRISM about how to educate constituents
      • talked a little bit to Steve
      • TD Majid: Meet with Steve to talk about this in depth (figure out who’s behind the programs, get feedback)
    • MSA Collaboration - “Apologize?”
      • in response to everything that’s happened
      • create collaboration - stereotyping, blanket assumptions… apologizing for communities?
      • TD Majid: Talk to MSA or other pertinent groups about collaboration and go from there / Flesh out ideas with them / Update Sarah
    • getting feedback on events
      • after event, create google form for groups
      • sending out form before next GBM - talk about this feedback at the meetings
        • suggestion box (?)
        • right after GBM
        • End of semester - What did you enjoy from the semester / How can we improve
        • TD Sarah & Michelle: Work on feedback form

Communications

    • Transition Meeting
      • TD Michelle: Contact Kelly for Transition Meeting
    • Social Media
      • Posting consistently on Mondays
    • Board Spotlights
      • TD Michelle: Diversify questions
      • After Vision Meeting on Friday -
      • TD EVERYONE: Dress business casual for Friday
      • TD Michelle: Find a photographer
    • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website
    • TD Michelle: Sending TDs - Have them be due by Friday
    • Photo campaign
    • Highlighting issues in social media
    • Website revamping
    • Combatting stigmas with mental health
    • Make APSC more of a safe space by increasing discussion (broadening topics) to non-API issues
    • Make APSC more fun - too administrative
      • like the bacon ice breaker
      • bonding activities
        • take APSC liaisons to eat
        • people would be more open
        • bonfire chats

Discussion

    • Next Board Meeting
      •  Sunday 5 PM - 7 PM
    • TD Sarah: Send out reminder email for GBM
    • GBM
      • Icebreaker
      • TD Maya, Brandon: Think of ice breaker
      • Announcements
        • New Board, Focus the next few weeks, Table Talk, Social Media (telling people to like our stuff), University Council Seat Change
      • Funding App
        • Napa Mocktail Mixer
          • Presentation (2 minutes)
          • Motion for Q&A (2 Minutes)
          • Deliberation
        • PTS
          • Presentation (2 minutes)
          • Motion for Q&A (2 Minutes)
          • Deliberation
      • Constituent Announcements
        • TD Maya: Email with new events that have come up during the week

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Board MeetingsBoard APSC