9/28/14 Board Meeting

Click to view full meeting minutes: APSC Board Meeting 9_28_14 Minutes APSC Board Meeting Agenda

Sunday, September 28, 2014. 7:30pm EST.

 

Welcome Hillary & Albert!

 

Highs n’ Lows

 

Updates

Chair

  • Asia Samson/Jon Goode
    • Refer to Peter’s email that was forwarded
    • also sent to CAPE and PPA
    • TD: Mithin talk to Peter about role of CAPE on campus
  • 5B Initiatives
  • Constitutional Changes
  • Lunch w/ President & Provost + 5B & VPUL
    • introduce large scale initiatives to President and Provost
    • more for purposes of representation, not really expecting her to do anything
    • discussed SFS not being very responsive
    • Amy G. said she would look into SFS and see why they aren’t doing their job
    • Faculty diversity was another big part of the agenda
    • Met with Dr. Anita Allen afterwards to discuss faculty diversity
    • Cultural diversity requirement is only applicable to the College
    • think college curriculum should be changed to make other students more culturally sensitive
    • University is making a lot more money, but we are also spending a lot more money as well
    • Amy G. said university cannot put money where we want it
    • Lack of diversity in Board of Trustees
  • UA Steering
    • Amy G. Mental Health task force showed up; did not say anything significant
    • Task Force expanded into two working groups -> education & outreach
    • Great wealth of programs and resources at Penn. CAPS has dedicated staff.
    • Communicate to students initially that mental health is critical to success.
    • Proposals
      • One number to call “helpline”. Not a crisis line but a “I don’t know what to do” line
      • One web portal; centralize resources
      • Enhance education for faculty, staff, parents, etc.
      • Train other students - iCare (provided by CAPS)
      • Communicate taking a leave is okay.
  • University Council Meeting
    • Wednesday from 4-6 pm
    • TD: Jin and Hillary attend this meeting
    • TD: Mithin forward information
  • UA GBMs
    • 9 pm on Sundays
    • APSC meetings moved to 7-9 pm
  • James Bristar Society
    • alumni, donors
    • Friday, 4-6 pm, PAACH
  • Faculty Diversity Initiative
    • meeting went pretty well
    • met with Dr. Anita Allen, Dean of Penn Law School, who is in charge of promoting faculty diversity on campus
    • in Penn Law school, they have a board of students who can contribute to deciding new faculty
    • Perhaps attempt to get students involved in the faculty selection process
  • Newsletter Lists
    • Full List of API Freshmen by Penn email
  • Affirmative Action Panel
    • Meeting tomorrow at 4 pm
  • SFS Advisory Board
    • Constitution Copy
    • Advisory board is finally happening
    • tried to get away with giving 5B only 2 seats
    • 9 seats total
    • we ended up getting 5 seats yay!
  • APSC Census
    • Under “Race” put in Middle Eastern category
    • trying to figure out how many of our members/students are low income
    • question how many students are going to actually fill out the census
    • snowballing will occur (friends will fill this out, not reaching out to people we want to target)
    • census data is important but it should be a university sponsored thing
  • APSC Gear
    • TD: Mithin will send out designs tonight
  • Visiting GBMs
    • Email Sent
    • Will get a consensus on who can go to what event soon

Vice Chair

  • Alumni Board Meeting
  • Peter Chung’s Gift
    • looked at a lot of mugs
    • customized mugs are more expensive
  • Board Bonding w/ Freshmen Liaisons
    • Friday, location TBA

 

Political

  • 5B Meeting
    • talked about getting permanent seats for University Council
  • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting
    • Tomorrow 5pm, Admissions AV Room
    • no one can go to this

 

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
    • not much going on right now
    • mostly internal events
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • next one will be out soon
    • probably will be 2 bigger groups

 

Finance

  • YPAAN + UPAAN + Oracle Homecoming Happy Hour
    • UPAAN is down, yPAAN is down, Oracle hasn’t responded
    • APAHW Alumni Brunch: 11:30 am - 2 pm, Cook off ends at 6 pm, then Taste of Penn Spectrum afterwards (diversity event) from 6-9 pm
    • Also the night of the SAS show
    • TD: Kelly send an email asking them if we can do this on Friday evening because Saturday is overbooked
    • Mike Mariano suggested: 9 pm at restaurant? (Tap might be too crowded- Han Dynasty?)
    • TD: email Mike to see if Friday is better
  • FSA Meeting
  • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
  • Funding application for this wednesday:
  • Treasurer's List-serv

 

External

  • Columbia AAA Mixer- Oct 25th
    • Mithin, Aashish, Jin, Victoria
    • Hillary and Albert might be able to go
    • TD: Victoria book BOLT bus tickets at PAACH & communicate w/ AAA about housing 3 people (Aashish, Hillary, & Albert)
    • Itinerary
    • leaving at around 4 pm and coming back 9 am the next morning
  • Lambda Mixer
    • successful
    • 4 from each coalition showed up
    • important for us to vouch for other minority groups
  • Lambda GBM
    • Victoria attended it
    • they do board intros and recaps of the week
    • had their elections for QPenn (like APAHW for us) which is in the Spring

 

Communications

  • Newsletter/General List-serv Status
    • TD: Remember to put in Lunch with a Senior blurb in the newsletter
  • 1-on-1 President and APSC Board Dates
  • C. Group Newsletter List-serv
    • TD: ask groups that haven’t sent Rebekah the listserv manager’ contact info to send her their emails

 

Liaisons

  • APSC Shirts
    • 89 shirts to distribute
    • going to constituent group events and selling them there
    • sell for $5 each to any freshmen
  • Onboarding
    • stay a little after the meeting and Mithin will tell you how to use the group emails
    • over the next few weeks, you will get access to all the docs
  • New Tasks
    • Sheila will work with you to demonstrate how APSC Dollars works
    • direct access to constituent affairs

 

Discussion

  • Bi-weekly GBM Updates from Board?
    • one funding app from kdphi
    • administrative updates
    • constitutional amendments
  • GMeter
    • run it right before a GBM?
  • Dollars
    • Incentivize the prize so that it is more personable than just cash
    • Give them $100 off the bat and follow up with some other prizes
    • Dessert tray, APSC cooks dinner for them, send them to NYC
    • Current Plan:
      • First place = $100
      • APSC Board cooks for first three
    • Let’s set a date
  • Initiatives
    • FYI Curriculum
      • want a clear, organized curriculum this semester
      • want to start off with something fun/social
      • TD: Send the email next Wednesday
      • TD: Aashish create running agenda for FYI
    • Visit GBMs
      • TD: Mithin send out email about this
    • Big Project for the Semester
      • Another mental wellness initiative?
      • Asians of Penn? like HONY
      • TD: Hillary talk to Terry (is there a way APSC can collaborate with Humans of UPenn; one week for APIs at Penn- we would obviously help)
Board MeetingsBoard APSC