Board Minutes | 2.28.16

APSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda

Sunday February 28, 2016. 5:00pm EST.

Harrison 21st Lounge

Important Dates

  • 2/28 6PM: HYPE Show - YAYYYY ANDYYY
  • 2/29 5:40 PM: SAS PAACH Bi-weekly
  • 3/2 8PM: APSC GBM

Updates

Chair

    • UMC Budget - March
    • Room Reservations for GBMs
      • Due March 11

 

  • TD Sarah: Fill out room reservation room for GBMs
  • TD Sarah: Consult with UMC; make sure there is no overlap

 

    • Meeting with DP
      • 2/29 1:45 PM
      • TD Maya and Michelle: Send articles from the DP ‘scandal’ to Sarah
    • Pennsylvania Youth Action Conference
      • Co-sponsor and outreach
      • Name on all funding forms + marketing to constituents
      • TD Sarah: Tell Cody we’re on board for the PA Youth Action Conference
    • Faculty Diversity Committee
      • Yen-Yen will be on this committee
    • Faculty Diversity Award/first gen low ses grad school Committees
      • email Ian
      • one for each project
      • award to one member on faculty who is of minority background
        • Maya and Michelle will be on this committee
    • Committee Standings List - ongoing initiative list - past events
      • more transparency on website
    • UMC: Newsletter focused on minority communities
      • who wants to work with UMC?
      • Journal?
      • writing articles: help sparingly - maya, sarah, majid, brandon, yen-yen
    • UMC: cultural house mixer with all students
      • go into cultural houses for an activity
    • API Dating Workshops
      • Sonalee Rashatwar
        • speaks at conferences about body positivity
      • PAGE
        • Safe sex + toy usage - for women by women
        • Misogynistic language - for men by men
        • Interracial dating + Talking to family about dating
          • Start with this one!
      • 4 workshops over the course of a year (2 per semester)
        • Workshop for men by men
        • Workshop for women by women
    • First Gen, low ses committee for assistance into graduate school programs
    • Robyn’s Mental Health Workshop
      • February 25th 2 PM
      • Discussion around mental health issues
        • Very well attended --- 20-30 people
        • Set the rules for interactions
      • Current Ideas
        • Stigma of seeking counseling
        • Biases in mental health research
        • How to better help those around us (activism skills, etc.)
      • Other possible Ideas
        • Focus on a specific aspect
        • Resources at Penn
        • Staying positive
    • 6CRC
      • Met with other centers
      • Event in March on solidarity (late March)
        • Short panel with students talking + interactive workshop about solidarity
    • 5B
      • Online Bias Assessment Report
        • maybe work with DPS?

 

  • TD Sarah: Keep in contact with officials regarding the online bias assessment report

 

      • PILOT
    • Monthly Check in meetings
      • Supporting board
      • 2-1 meetings: THIS FRIDAY!

 

  • TD Everyone: Fill in monthly check in meetings

 

  • MSP (Multicultural Scholars Weekend)
    • representative for this committee (usually admissions)
    • 5B specific event
    • 2 asian students came
  • KSA: Activism Across Asia
    • KSA Panel event to talk about protests in Korea (nationalization of textbooks, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.)
    • Professors to talk about this
    • PennThai, M@P, KSA collab (regarding protests)
    • one scholar from singapore
  • Penn Wellness Steering Committee
    • 30 groups and communities across campus who are dedicated to implementing wellness initiatives within their groups. The committee is meant to serve as an outlet for collaboration, idea sharing, and event planning for wellness programming
  • Penn Spectrum Weekend
    • “This conference, taking place September 23-25, 2016, will be bringing our various alumni and student communities together to celebrate and discuss diversity at Penn and beyond.”
    • Luncheon
  • Scholarship
    • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
    • UPAAN wants to sponsor
  • AV Supply - waiting on Peter

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Gear
      • Jennie gave contact info
      • Contact info doesn’t work anymore?! shoredesigns

 

  • TD Brandon: Send options for designs/types of jackets this week

 

    • ECAASU/ITASA
      • Talked to Peter, created interest form w/ Michelle, want app process for scholarships for ECAASU

 

  • Post-ECAASU talk?

 

        • Sleeping bags at PAACH

 

  • TD Brandon: Remind people to return sleeping bags

 

      • Reimbursement - David
      • TD Brandon: Set debrief meeting time + do reimbursements?
    • work on UPAAN scholarship
      • Trying to revamp, PAACH has maintained a relationship
      • Waiting for response

 

  • TD Brandon: Bother Paulo on FB regarding UPAAN

 

    • Meeting with Penn Women’s Center
      • Going to happen

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Email Viraj for summary of SAVA training that we can pass along to constituents

 

    • PAACH Leadership Meeting
      • ‘Suggestions’ for Staff:
        • Have stance over Wii
        • Equal staff presence in student’s base
        • Respect staff more (get students to respect staff more!)
        • Amanda will put up guidelines for PAACH :)
    • Meeting with PAACH to contact alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN
      • list of local organizations retrieved from Peter
        • tour of Chinatown - local community
          • work with community outreach committee
    • Peter - speaker through PAACH (Mia Yamamoto) - work with Japanese American center and LGBT center: speaking March 31st
    • Connections with local organizations - funnel PAACH as activism center for students to get involved with local community in meaningful ways - AAU, AAI
      • Tour of Chinatown organizations idea
    • Planning for next social!
      • TD Brandon: Optionz? for Board social!
    • Ryan wants to talk about Kusum fund
      • Promotion material
      • He & Nicolette want to host a social media campaign to reach out to a lot of people
    • Discussion about the variety of talks
      • Solidarity Series
      • PAGE Talk about Gender
      • More education to constituents?
      • Combine all into one big discussion --- all have connections to APALI --- make everything into ‘Tea with APALI’?

 

  • TD Brandon, Majid, Yen-Yen, and Sarah: Set up meeting to prep for meeting
  • TD Brandon, Majid, Yen-Yen, Sarah: Set up meeting to discuss combining all meetings into one ‘Tea with APALI’

 

  • SAVA Promotion; (ICARE?)
    • TD Everyone: Start promoting SAVA - encourage leaders to participate in the training

 

Political

    • Soomin organizing discussion!!!

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Yell at Soomin to apply for Education!!!

 

    • University Council Open Forum (2/17/16) (4-6 PM)
      • UC APP DUE 2/22/16
      • Update: UC App finished, interview completed
    • Making spreadsheet - other “APSC” groups outside of us
      • talk with them about their specific groups / what they do
      • possible collaborations
      • TD Yen-Yen: Meet w/ Temple ASA
    • CDUS
      • Analyzed data for CDUS
      • Faculty Lunch in Feb 29 - Heather Williams and Grace Kao-- faculty come in and talk about teaching preferences

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Follow up & get more specific logistics for CDUS

 

    • Working with other 5B groups to have a conference to discuss self-segregation/5B Week
      • introductory thing for freshmen in the future
      • 5B very open to this idea
    • Integration with the other 5B groups and other cultural centers
      • 5B meetings - Sarah, Yen-Yen, Majid
        • Brandon focusing more on internal initiatives
    • Why Do APIA issues matter film
    • Overall ‘Theme’ for Events (+ Special fund for that)

 

  • TD Everyone: Think of possible themes + talk about it at the GBM

 

    • PAACH Programming
      • TD Yen-Yen: Check in: Organized Calendar of all events planned in PAACH with Peter and Viraj; Proposal for calendar
      • UPDATE: Calendar will be implemented after spring break
        • Calendar’s use:
          • Constituency calendar vs PAACH calendar
        • 2-3 PM Fridays

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Reach out to APALI with regards to marketing of these events (like Tea w/ APALI)
  • TD Yen-Yen: Talk to Lawrence more about Tea w/ APALI marketing

 

    • Meeting with Peter and Will Wang
      • activist ideas (API issues) - more discussion
      • March 16 - wants to do a presentation during GBM on API history at Penn
      • TD Yen-Yen, Majid: Meet with Will to figure out presentation for APSC GBM 3/16
      • Peter wants to do a presentation; wants to incorporate more education
    • APSC/ASAM History Jeopardy
      • constituent groups can sign up as teams
      • small funding prizes
      • List of question and category ideas in Jeopardy
      • aim for week after Spring Break
      • Week of March 23rd ?

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Follow up w/ Christian and see what ASAM said regarding Jeopardy

 

 

Constituent

    • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
    • Robyn - grad school database
      • Similar program to ‘Lunch with a Senior’; Grad + Undergrad mentorship
      • Start database from grad school of different fields - Leave it to undergrads to reach out
      • Best way to disseminate this information?

 

  • TD Majid: Recap the mental health workshop

 

      • TD Majid: Talk to Robyn about possibly hosting another event
    • Board Mixers
      • Emailed to check up
      • Once a month = goal
      • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PI4P1fG_bYaRZCX_2NMx76XGcTYnPr1GE5AdTU0Spwc/viewform
        • Connect via email
        • Made a form to send to the presidents
    • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
      • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
      • fireside chat tie in
      • SAS signed up for next PAACH event (short film)
        • Monday - SAS Biweekly

 

  • TD Everyone: Invite friends to the SAS BiWeekly Event

 

    • Facebook groups
      • TD Maya: Make ‘Presidents Group’ - Facebook
        • Externals optional
    • APSC Dollars

 

  • TD Michelle and Maya: Work on marketing for APSC Dollars w/ Maya
  • Penn Spectrum Weekend meeting

 

    • Weekend in September
    • panels, social events, etc.
    • Want a representative from each of the boards if possible for planning
    • Committees for programming (encourage people in the community to apply to those)
  • Constituent Events
    • attending as many events as possible
    • facebook group link and freeforcoffee link

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Tradition
    • Budget Analysis (lawrence completed)
      • We funded more in the fall semester than we have in the past
      • Budgeted ~$700 to constituent fund, ~$550 guaranteed fund
      • UA Contingency funded us twice
    • TD Andy: Update Budget + Remember to write down the numbers after the GBMs

 

  • Digest Townhall Suggestions

 

    • Justify numbers
    • TD Andy: send out funding brochure regularly
    • educating presenters and voters
      • i.e. the brochure, talk to the people who are about to present
      • talk about certain things before the funding process
    • TD Andy: add more information to info sheet (a FAQ)
    • budget analysis for constituent groups
      • refer them to Kusum
  • Corporate Sponsorship
    • Delta
      • APSC Formal ?!?!?!??!?!
      • TD Andy: follow up with Delta

 

External

 

  • TD Majid: Calendar update + think about which speaker to pass on

 

    • Look into project initiative database
    • APIs in media with PAAF film series
      • reached out --- currently discussing
        • Sangam, Penn Cinema Initiatives
        • Feb 7 or Feb 14
        • Talking w/ PAAF director (discussion) - Ricki’s Promise (movie)
        • TD Majid: Collab with Matt to bring in comedians (David So, Dan Nainan)
        • early Feb - Dan confirmed
          • comedy night in March
        • Feb/March - bring in Keli Lee (casting for ABC)
          • meeting w/ UME programmer
    • want to talk to other externals of coalitions to do semester-long initiatives
      • finished at retreat
    • talk to PRISM about how to educate constituents
      • talked a little bit to Steve
      • student run version --- talk to APALI about this
      • skype call between APALI facilitator, student, etc.
      • TD Majid: Get APALI facilitators, iBelieve TA,
    • PTS, HKSA, etc. Speaker Event
    • MSA Collaboration
    • 5B statement about anti-muslim attacks
      • DP editorial piece
    • getting feedback on events
      • after event, create google form for groups
      • sending out form before next GBM - talk about this feedback at the meetings
        • suggestion box (?)
        • right after GBM
        • End of semester - What did you enjoy from the semester / How can we improve

 

  • IDEA: Majid Can Make a Presentation Around Team Dynamics from his MGMT Class

 

    • PAAFF

 

  • TD Maya: Keep DVD for Ricki’s Promise until Van Pelt reaches out to Majid
  • TD Michelle: General series graphic for both events (APSC PAAFF Screening Series, APIs in the Arts)

 

      • Sangam is going to help with marketing, after that can get involved in discussions
      • small discussion with PAAF or director
      • academic acquisition to get dvds - petitioning library to acquire rights to specific film
        • Van Pelt allows - can utilize for future events
      • March
      • keeping it at the same month and time
      • in the gbm before, ask them what movie they want

 

  • TD Majid: Meet with Sangam to see what future movie to bring in

 

    • Speakers
      • TD Michelle (with Majid’s Direction): Create Cover Photo for Asian Americans in Entertainment Series
      • looking at CAPE for other speaker ideas
      • Bring in Muslim speaker for April
        • Collab with SAID
      • Keli Lee

 

  • Wait On Response
  • TD Michelle: create google form for speaker suggestions on website + feedback form (post in general fb group)

 

          • date, name of event, etc. (general one)
          • suggestions form on its own (two separate forms)

 

  • TD Majid:  Think about David So Event for March Speaker/Performer

 

        • aimed for March 31
        • TD Majid: Look into Jenny Yang as a speaker via Viraj ASAP

 

  • TD Maya and Sarah: Contact Jenny Yang for a speaker event
  • TD Majid: List of Speakers for the Rest of the Series

 

        • Fung Brothers responded
        • TD Majid: Ask for $1000 + travel expenses (Fung Bros) --- negotiate!
    • Muslim-related Initiatives

 

  • TD Sarah: Meet with DP head regarding 5B statement

 

        • reached out to various organizations to get them to sign (PRISM board is down)
          • reached out to UA, etc.

 

  • TD Everyone: Think about clubs/groups that would be down to sign the 5B statement + send out to constituent groups
  • TD Andy and Majid: Work with Majid, IFC with regards to the 5B statement (check up, etc.), Facebook Thread.
  • TD Majid: Create spreadsheet for disseminating the 5B statement

 

          • PAGE wants to add a clause

 

  • TD Majid: Send out mass email regarding the addition of the clause (proceed if no response)
  • TD Majid: Reach out to the people who haven’t responded yet
  • TD Majid: Send out ‘final statement’ to the signers

 

      • New group
        • Students Against Islamophobia and Discrimination (SAID)
          • TD Majid: Post question in 5B GroupMe about SAID

 

  • TD Majid: Think of eye-catching title for statement

 

          • Idea of providing link to spreadsheet with signers
          • Feedback for statement
            • Reading out the statement would be powerful, but sharing a ‘two sentence graphic’ would be very powerful
            • At Event, read the statement outloud --- afterwards, mention the social media push that would occur and ask members to support the social media push
            • Graphic with quote from statement + link statement in description of release graphic
            • ‘Filter’ for Facebook profile picture?
        • Launch Event
        • related to Amy Guttman meeting
        • make statement about positive things rather than condemning
        • meeting on Tuesday with Chaplains
          • try to do collaborations surrounding the idea
          • talk about issues of islamophobia affecting different communities
        • Monday Meeting w/ Steering Committee
        • Push for statement!
      • MAG Meeting First
        • fairly diverse group - we want to open it up to all these groups
          • administration can see that this is an issue beyond just one community
        • more facilitation of a discussion

 

  • I Believe
  • TD Majid: Set meetings with Muslim APALI grads and iBelieve Grads

 

 

Communications

 

  • TD Everyone: Clean up sections

 

    • AT&T Sponsorship - 2016 New GenerAsian
      • Feb Launch Date - Will start looking for possible people to feature
        • Made a graphic

 

  • TD Michelle: Send spreadsheet out for AT&T nominations

 

          • diversity in who we pick

 

  • TD Michelle: Release the graphic and launch campaign

 

    • A lot of changes, contacting and emailing the sponsors
      • Issues: Asked for samples but the samples they gave were very sponsor-like
      • Prizes changed - don’t have the iPad anymore but have more prizes
  • ECAASU - Made event, gauged interest
    • Social Media
    • Mondays
  • PVP Meeting
    • Had retreat where groups were brought in from sports, fraternities etc.
      • not enough awareness in other age groups (not just freshmen) about issues (mental health)
      • trying to find ways to implement mental health in sports and greek life
    • Attending PVP meeting this week
  • Meeting w/ Peter
    • Discussed our vision meeting
    • Regarding API mental health
      • Talk to Asian Americans in CAPS who understand Penn culture a lot more
    • Develop connections with all media outlets
      • Within Penn: (Newspapers like the DP, Media & Entertainment, etc.)
        • Potentially highlight API students in the DP
      • Outside of Penn: Develop skill of how to develop a press release; public statements
      • Pipeline for stories of API students on campus
        • Meaningful stories for APIs at Penn (“Humans of New York” style)
      • Promoting ASAM Department
    • Archival System - Video Vlog, etc.
      • Peter said that using a media outlet that can be updated
  • Start weekly spotlights again
    • Already got 3 nominations and a few submissions
    • Thinking about possibly creating a Facebook event to gain more interest + already made a graphic for it
    • Emailed APSC constituents
    • TD Michelle: Follow up on submissions or nominations for the APSC weekly spotlight
  • TD Michelle, Sarah: Finish making the Powerpoint for the GBM on Wednesday
  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website
  • TD Michelle: Sending TDs
  • TD Michelle: Check up on feedback form
  • Photo campaign
  • Highlighting issues in social media
  • Website launch
    • Forum
    • update non-constituent boards
  • APSC Snapchat Idea - still want to do this! Maybe I can just make one and provide the QR code at the next GBM and so members can start to use it?
    • question of whether to keep APSC snapchat to our board (as in when we attend events we use it) or to open up to all community members so that they can snap
        • their own events ??????
        • February 17th GBM
        • Talked with people at the Town Hall about it; one group was very open and for the idea
        • Snapchat: group boards can switch it up throughout the week or during large events (form system)
      • Combatting stigmas with mental health
      • Make APSC more of a safe space by increasing discussion (broadening topics) to non-API issues
      • Make APSC more fun - too administrative
        • like the bacon ice breaker
        • bonding activities
          • take APSC liaisons to eat
          • people would be more open
          • bonfire chats

      Discussion

       

    • TD Sarah and Michelle: Work on PPT for GBM
        • Committees

       

    • TD Everyone: Send out interview email before Tuesday and have interview before next board meeting
    • TD Brandon and YYG: Send out interview times
    • TD Sarah: Send Lawrence rejection letter :O
      • GBM
        • Sarah
          • Pennsylvania Youth Action Conference
          • Resources List
          • 5B - Faculty Diversity (Award, Scouting)
          • First gen low ses assistance into graduate school
          • Online bias assessment report
          • Meeting with DP/Statement Update
        • Michelle
          • Fill out feedback form for future speakers
          • Continue to nominate for Person of the Week & New GenerAsian
          • New GenerAsian is starting - interact with posts for prizes
        • Maya
          • March Board Mixers
          • SAS biweekly recap
          • APSC dollars
        • Majid
          • Mental Health Recap
          • PAAFF Recap
          • SAID Announcement
        • Yen Yen
          • PAACH Calendar Update
          • Reapplying to UC
        • Andy
        • Brandon
          • SAVA
          • ECAASU Recap
          • Organizational Reachout