12/6/15 - Board Minutes

APSC XXII Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, December 6, 2015. 5:00pm EST.

22nd Floor Harrison Lounge

Updates

Important Dates

  • First Bonding Event: 12/8 10 PM

 

Chair

    • Meetings with other organizations
      • 5B, MGC, Prism, other PAACH programs (ASPIRE, APALI, ASAM, PEER), UA, API members of UA, Graduate Organizations, Panhellenic, IFC

 

  • TD Sarah: Reach out to 5B and MGC to set up meetings

 

      • Start during reading days
        • Before end of year - 5B, MGC, Prism
        • Brandon - PAACH programs
    • Meetings with all presidents
      • Brandon and Maya: get turnover schedule

 

  • TD Maya: Update Sarah w/ groups that have already turned over
  • TD Sarah: Draft email to new presidents

 

    • PTS Speaker Event

 

  • TD Majid/Maya: Reach out to PTS to get more details on event

 

  • Vision Meeting Recap
    • Good to have those personal stories / experiences in the beginning
    • Very efficient
    • Facilitation was good
  • Scholarship
    • email from Delta - wants to sponsor an event
    • UPAAN wants to sponsor
  • Committees
    • talk about it to
  • Online Bias Assessment Report
    • pitch to constituent groups
  • Bi-weekly PAACH Events
  • AV Supply
  • Breaking the stigma surrounding sexual violence, sexual relationships, and sexual health
  • VPUL Chart
    • TD for Sarah: ask jin to Send out updated VPUL chart to board
    • Chart maps out relations in VPUL, get a good sense of who they are

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EoNeVFP8tJALYS4cc0Y4iBZetiVkmeAtjumIOv6bxW4/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1

 

Vice Chair

    • Transition Meeting
    • Board Social
      • Brandon’s apartment in Harrison
      • Tues - 10PM

 

  • TD EVERYONE: Bring games!!!!!

 

    • Meeting with Unelected Candidates
      • have talked to a few already (interested in being involved)
    • focus on things also outside the board
    • expanding on constituent affairs initiatives from last year
      • more informal programming
    • focus more on macro-level beyond constituent groups like PAACH and non-community APIs
      • leadership workshop on API issues
    • work on UPAAN scholarship

 

  • TD Brandon: Contact Paulo Bautista

 

    • Social/Food Preference Survey

 

  • TD Brandon: See what board likes to do socially + food preferences

 

    • Meeting with Penn Women’s Center

 

  • TD Sarah, Brandon, Yen-Yen: Fill out when2meet, keep in contact with Tim and Brittany on email

 

    • Meetings with APSC Board Members
      • want to hold 1-1 with all of board
      • starting early next semester
    • Meetings with PAACH Program Chairs
      • APALI, Aspire, Peer, PAACH staff
    • Weekly One-on-one Meals
      • next semester - set out pairings per week
    • Meeting with PAACH to contact alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN

 

  • TD Brandon: Set up meeting with Viraj, Peter regarding alumni/UPAAN/yPAAN

 

    • TD Brandon: Check out Civic Houses discussion
    • APSC Dollars
      • Winner of this semester
      • Figure out way to restructure APSC dollars

 

  • TD Brandon: Figure out APSC dollars
  • TD Brandon: Find time for Skype call

 

 

Political

    • University Council Seat Turnover
      • Going to GBM Monday / getting interviewed
      • Meeting with Albert today to prep for interview
    • Making spreadsheet - other “APSC” groups outside of us
      • talk with them about their specific groups / what they do
      • possible collaborations
      • meeting on Thursday - waiting for followup
    • CDUS Meeting on Thursday
      • Data in some courses - can’t go purely off of ratings

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: (Winter Break) Compare data w/ PennCourseReview and look for underlying patterns in CDUS

 

      • Faculty Lunch in Feb - faculty come in and talk about teaching preferences
    • Meeting other political chairs
      • Will - UMC on Monday

 

  • TD Yen-Yen: Reach out to political chairs - meet with them ASAP

 

  • Open forum on the discussion of self-segregation
  • Working with other 5B groups to have a conference to discuss self-segregation
  • Integration with the other 5B groups and other cultural centers
  • Lunch with a Senior program within the 5B and other cultural groups

 

Constituent

    • Directory
      • Boards that are turning over are filling it out
      • TD Maya: Bug people with emails to fill out directory (And in Constituent Digest)
    • Promote personal and intergroup interactions
      • Revamped Lunch w/ Senior program
      • FreeForCoffee: Have APSC website running - join via link
        • https://www.freeforcoffee.com/apsc
        • maybe do this next semester (?)

 

  • TD Everyone: Join website & check out how it works

 

        • Facebook event - to launch this
      • Wrap up Lunch with a Senior - last meetings before break
        • last email sent out (wrapping up)
    • Board Mixers

 

  • TD Maya: Develop more concrete plan for board mixers before next semester

 

    • wait until next semester
  • Bi-weekly PAACH events, discussions, etc.
    • opposite weeks of GBMS - political discussion
    • fireside chat tie in
  • Facebook groups
    • Wait to create Facebook group until more boards turnover
  • Townhall
    • introduce everyone to each other
  • APSC Dollars
  • Constituent Events
    • attending as many events as possible

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • T- Change w/ Lawrence
        • Kwanza - Makuu - tomorrow 6PM (Houston Hall)
        • Elections - Aashna - Co-Chair
        • Politics of elections and funding boards
    • TD Andy: Making info sheet
    • Budget Analysis
    • Corporate Sponsor
      • Scholarship
    • TD Andy: Over winter break - condense brochure on the website

 

  • TD Andy: Funding workshop organization

 

    • TD Andy: Funding resource summaries + funding guidelines on APSC website
    • TD Andy: contacting other treasurers (once they update their info)
    • Treasurer Workshop
    • Greek Life Panel
      • Rush starts Fri before school starts
        • have been bringing it up to various orgs
      • TD Andy: start figuring out booking a room by next week
      • TD Andy: find collaborating groups before winter break (panhell ifc, mgc (kp)
        • ask them for marketing + publicity

 

  • TD Everyone: Update Andy with possible people to contact in these Greek Life groups

 

      • find people + talk to people informally
      • get freshmen/sophs to come to the panel/discussion

 

  • TD Andy and Maya: Talk about the SAS Mix & Mentor event to get ideas
  • TD Andy: Reach out to Michelle for marketing materials + yourself for food

 

    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Delta

 

  • TD Andy: Look at Delta email

 

 

External

    • APIs in media with PAAF film series

 

  • TD Majid: Reach out regarding PAAF / Follow up with possible events

 

        • reached out --- currently discussing

 

  • TD Majid: Collab with Matt to bring in comedians (David So, Dan Nainan)

 

        • early Feb - Dan confirmed
      • TD Sarah: reach out to director to reach out to David So
    • ECAASU
      • get clearer idea of what ECAASU was like

 

  • TD Majid: Talk to Sarah + Lawrence about ECAASU and what it was like

 

    • want to talk to other externals of coalitions to do semester-long initiatives
      • TD Majid: come to 5B meetings + follow up on Sarah to see if he can come to the other meetings
      • TD Sarah: ask new 5B if we can add rest of board to GroupMe
    • talk to PRISM about how to educate constituents
      • talked a little bit to Steve
      • TD Majid: Meet with Steve on Fri to talk about this in depth (figure out who’s behind the programs, get feedback)
    • MSA Collaboration - “Apologize?”
      • in response to everything that’s happened
      • create collaboration - stereotyping, blanket assumptions… apologizing for communities?
      • Spoke with MSA president
        • reelected a week ago
        • board turnover - Jan

 

  • TD Majid: Flesh out ideas with MSA / Update Sarah

 

    • getting feedback on events
      • after event, create google form for groups
      • sending out form before next GBM - talk about this feedback at the meetings
        • suggestion box (?)
        • right after GBM
        • End of semester - What did you enjoy from the semester / How can we improve

 

  • TD Sarah & Michelle: Work on feedback form

 

 

Communications

    • Transition Meeting

 

  • TD Michelle: Contact Kelly for Transition Meeting

 

    • Social Media
      • Mondays
    • Board Spotlights

 

  • TD Michelle: Diversify questions

 

      • Name:
      • School/Major/Year:
      • Which APSC Constituent Group(s) are you involved in (if you are)?
      • What other groups are you also involved in?
      • Favorite Quote:
      • What's your favorite part about being in the APSC Community?
      • Taylor Swift Song:
      • Biggest pet peeve:
      • Favorite movie:
      • #1 played song right now:
      • Any superpower:
      • Desired vacation destination:
      • Spirit animal:
      • What you wanted to be when you were a kid:
      • Favorite brunch place on campus:
      • Most used website:
      • Favorite holiday song:
      • Favorite dessert:
      • Weird talent:
      • After Vision Meeting on Friday -
      • TD EVERYONE: Dress business casual for Friday

 

  • TD Michelle: Find a photographer

 

  • TD Michelle: Posting Minutes to Website
  • TD Michelle: Sending TDs - Have them be due by Friday
    • photo campaign
    • highlighting issues in social media
    • website
    • combatting stigmas with mental health
    • make APSC more of a safe space by increasing discussion (broadening topics) to non-API issues
    • make APSC more fun - too administrative
      • like the bacon ice breaker
      • bonding activities
        • take APSC liaisons to eat
        • people would be more open
        • bonfire chats

 

  • TD Everyone: Put ideas into calendar (winter break)

 

 

Discussion

    • Winter Break
      • Skype call
    • Initiatives Discussion
      • Maya: Finalize directory of current boards, reach out to presidents/externals (FB group, starting Free for coffee/FB event), plan out structure for townhall, board mixers system, decide what to do with APSC dollars structure
      • Yen-Yen: Keep contacting other schools, meet with other political chairs, lay the foundation for the 5B week idea, meet with APALI facilitators to discuss their plans for the PAACH talks, CDUS data
      • Michelle: Revamp website, Finalize board spotlights + post to website, hashout ideas for bonfirechat/PAACH discussions
      • Brandon: Reach out to relevant contacts in the local community, talk with UPAAN contacts and PAACH program chairs; brainstorm framework for future collaborations and regular “informal” events; work on new apsc graphics for the website/branding; figure out ideas for restructuring GBMs and task delegation; think of board socials, ASAM 101
      • Sarah: committee system, paach bi-weekly events, AV equipment research, set up meetings with new presidents for start of the semester, increase GBM length, scholarship
      • Andy
        • condense brochure on the website

 

  • Funding resource summaries + funding guidelines/brochure send to michelle for APSC website

 

        • contacting other treasurers (once they update their info)

 

  • Treasurer Workshop
  • Greek Life Panel
  • contact people of interest
  • clarify structure of event
  • marketing (materials and talking

 

      • Majid: Meet other people alongside Yen-Yen, Iron detail for event with Nainan and David so (contact Matt and figure out what rooms to book based on Dumfoundead last year), Talk with previous ECAASU Attendance, talk to organizer of Ecaasu and accept invitation, Talk to PAAFF director about setting up first screening and familiarizing marketing and (MAYBE get a constituents form for choosing??) (

 

  • Other APSC meetings w/Yen-Yen
  • Plan out Comedy Event...Market as well

 

        • Ask/help with marketing
      • Talk with APALI Facilitators  about ECAASU integration
      • Accept ECAASU event and begin planning
      • Set first film for PAAFF - OR - get form ready for new constituents to choose films ---> PICK IT OVER BREAK (with APSC Buddies)
        • Google form on FB page -- vote at GBM) (Pick the first one)

 

    • PAACH bi-weekly events
      • Chill destresser one week
        • Coordinate with PAACH’s new ‘homey’ events
      • Discussion about an API issue another week
    • Committee System
      • 3 committees
        • Education and awareness
          • Panels, discussion groups
          • Lead discussions, presentations at GBMs
        • Fundraising + Large event programming
          • i.e. Ramen night
          • distribute tasks
          • retain accountability
        • Interview a chair for each committee → come to Sunday meetings
        • Smaller committees --- less people to look over

 

  • TD Everyone: Think about committee system before winter break Skype chat

 

    • Townhall
      • In the past: Discussed specific initiatives, constituent relations
      • Invited presidents and externals & focus on them first
      • Small group → Lead discussion
      • Google form → Find topics that they want to discuss
      • ~Early Feb: 2 hours (Sunday?)
      • Discussion topics
        • Intergroup interaction (board mixers, etc.)
        • Biweekly discussions
        • Larger issues in the API community
    • Marketing for Greek Life Chat
      • PAACH Newsletter
      • Marketing materials (cover photos, profile pictures)
      • Engaging facebook event page
        • pictures of people from each group
      • What goes into Panhell vs other types of greek life orgs
    • PAACH Fund
      • $25 for collaboration w/ PAACH
      • Stick w/ current
    • Increasing GBM time by 30 mins

 

  • TD Everyone: Update Sarah w/ anything she should bring up @ meetings on Google Doc
  • TD Majid: Reach out to Sarah for in-depth details of comedy event
  • TD Sarah: Create google doc --- things to pitch to meetings (5B, presidents, etc>0
  • TD Everyone: Update board calendar w/ finals