1/25/15 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, January 25, 2015. 5 PM EST.

Rodin M20

What are you looking forward to in February?

Updates

Chair

    • 5B Meeting
      • Talked about meeting with Panhel, IGC, MGC
      • Trying to implement some kind of regular programming to prevent PhiDelt incident from reoccurring
      • Trying to get permanent university council seats
        • Doesn’t look too easy, but we will put our best foot forward :)
    • ASAM

 

  • TD Jin: Email Azuma

 

    • 5B Transition Meeting
      • Looks like there will be many new initiatives rather than picking up scraps from last term

 

  • TD Jin: Ask Katherine what the status of this is

 

  • Phi Delt
  • Political 5B Transition Doc
    • Postponed until we find out whether or not there will be a transition meeting
  • Got Consent Photo Campaign
    • Emailed Isabella back, waiting for more information on photo shifts
  • Fossil Free at Penn Collab
    • Environment activist group, wants Penn to divest from fossil fuels
    • Wants APSC to sign onto

Vice Chair

  • Board Social Events
    • Restaurant week at Buddakan (if reservations are open)
    • Fat Salmon is Plan B
  • Board Gear
    • Order sent in today
    • $10 paid out of pocket, rest is covered by PAACH
  • PAACH Anniversary
    • Need to figure out logistics
  • UPAAN
    • Trying to set up a resume review workshop
    • New initiative: Pair student with an alumni
    • Add to list of summer internships

Political

    • University Council
      • Meeting this week
    • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Mental Health Discussion Initiative
      • Brought up during 5B meeting, people were interested
      • Contacted Penn Initiative in Minority Mental Health, but waiting until group is fully transitioned

 

  • TD Jin and Albert: Meet to discuss the Stanford initiative and how we can maybe model it

 

  • UA Steering
    • Talked about increasing Penn’s attentiveness to sports

Constituent

    • APSC Dollars
      • Email will be sent out tonight notifying constituents that the competition will start tonight
    • Lunch w/ a Senior
      • Include in the APSC Dollars email
    • Constituent Board Mixers
      • Email sent on Friday about sign ups
    • Figuring out Board transitions
      • Asked constituents about updating listservs
    • Presidents dinner
      • Postponed until Spring
    • APSC Olympics
      • Postponed until Spring
    • Town Hall
      • Feb 1st (next Sunday) at 2PM
      • Location TBD

 

  • TD Brandon: Book Huntsman room for Town Hall

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • Still no funding board meetings
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • Budget
      • $245 → board gear
      • $2900 for the rest of the semester
    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • No progress

 

  • TD Lawrence: Work on a proposition
  • TD Jin: Find out if CAPE still exists

 

    • Funding Seminar
      • After next GBM

 

  • TD Lawrence: Email people about Funding Seminar and work on the presentation

 

  • SAC Activities Fair
    • About 25 freshmen interested in new LEAP program
    • Email PEER freshmen, FYI people, and other freshmen that may be interesting in joining
    • Think about better marketing techniques for the next fair

External

    • APSC wide arts show
      • PAC responded showing interest, hopefully will get them on board soon and start flushing out details
    • Penn Lens
      • Identity exhibit - we can’t fund but we can help with publicity
    • Lunar New Year Celebration at South Philly High School
      • Asking for volunteers - help with decorations and craft activities

 

  • TD Sarah: Contact Penn Lions to see if they would be interested

 

    • 5B Speakeasy
      • Seen but no response
      • Possibly in March
    • Yellow Rage
      • Spoken word group
    • DFD/Awkwafina
      • $4000 for both DFD and Awkwafina + 2 hotel rooms
      • No venues available on campus, but found another that cost about $1500
      • Spectrum, KSA, CSA (maybe) will collab
      • Openers: Contacted Hype

 

  • TD Sarah and Lawrence: Send in funding apps when details are settled

 

    • 76’s Asian Heritage NIght
      • SAS, KSA, CSA all contacted
      • Maybe giant collab with other constituent groups so we can bargain

 

  • TD Brandon: Contact other groups to see if they would be interested
  • TD Sarah: Send Brandon more info about 76’s

 

    • ECAASU
      • Registration will probably be subsidized
      • Nominate attendees for Trailblazer award

 

  • TD Lisa: Send out email with Trailblazer nominations and form for people that are interested (include name, phone number, email in form)
  • TD Sarah: Send Lisa the email for Bryn Mawr seeking Asian female

 

  • Dan aka Dan
    • Maybe in April 4th or 5th (Sat or Sun)
    • Maybe collab with KSA because their culture show is that weekend

Communications

  • Video Project
    • sent out email
  • Annual Report formatting

 

  • Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

 

    • Website

 

  • TD Lisa: Send survey

 

    • Branching out from APA community

 

  • TD Sarah: Reach out to women’s group (pcuw and penn’s women center) to see if they would like to collab
  • TD Lisa: email class board to see if they would be interested in helping us market/advertise the event

 

  • Facebook page name
    • UPenn Asian Pacific Student Coalition - APSC

Discussion

    • APSC Board Retreat
      • Feb 7th, afternoon

 

  • TD Jin: Send minutes from last year’s meeting

 

      • Location: Jin’s room?
      • FOOD
    • Town Hall Logistics
      • Sunday, February 1st @ 2:00pm

 

  • TD Jin: Send Brandon the Town Hall stuff

 

    • Fossil Free Penn
      • Address at GBM and take a vote because we would sign as APSC, not individually

 

  • TD Jin: Invite Thomas Lee to come speak at next GBM, introduce topic for vote

 

    • LEAP (Leadership in Events and Programming)
      • APSC Olympics will be culminating event, but small projects along the way
        • A way to lead their own project, meet new people, get closer to other constituent groups
      • “chalk the walk” help with mental health project (once a month)
      • Bubble tea fundraisers
      • different committees: Creative, Finance, Marketing
      • Need to send email to those who expressed interest at SAC Fair and other potential members
        • Application process

 

  • TD Jin: Draft emails, one for FYI listserv, one for LEAP listserv
  • TD Lisa: Make new LEAP Listserv and add people to PAACH listserv
  • TD Jennie: Make Google Form

 

        • “whose mission is to provide opportunity to, cultivate, and empower individuals pursuing leadership at the University of Pennsylvania. AC functions from a project oriented standpoint to create dialogue over APIA issues, facilitate communication among rising leaders, increase access to past and present APIA leaders, and make tangible on-campus impact. “-
    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER

 

  • TD Jennie: Set up Skype call with Kristen

 

      • February 20th
      • (PEER’s end) people they contact:
        • Karen Su, the first Director of PAACH, has agreed to fly down that day to attend this event.  Here is here email: karensu@uic.edu
        • Valerie De Cruz, Director of Greenfield Intercultural Center
        • Grace Kao, sociology professor and part of the ASAM program. Was part of on-campus advocacy for the program.
        • Michael Mariano’s dad? (I think that his name is Roberto Mariano) Michael Mariano mentioned that he was a faculty representative for the students, and was possibly involved with the sit-in at Rodin’s office.
        • Ellen Somekawa, was involved with advocacy on campus during her time at Penn as a grad student. Is now director of AAU - transitioning into new role in charter school in Chinatown.
        • Michael Mariano
        • Franklin Shen
        • Curtis Lee
        • ^ find names of other people who would have been involved in the student advocacy end of this. Both Franklin and Michael have come to campus with ASAM Food for Thought this semester.
        • APSC - see if they have anyone?
      • (APSC’S end): Board of Advisory,

 

  • TD everyone: Start compiling questions for Anniversary Event panel
  • TD Jennie: find meeting time with Kristen before we leave, preferably PVD too

 

    • Facebook page title
      • UPenn Asian Pacific Student Coalition (APSC)

 

  • TD Lisa: Change name of Facebook page

 

    • Dropbox
      • Mithin will be uploading files onto Dropbox

 

  • TD everyone: read over and upload relevant Dropbox files

 

  • APSC Shirts
    • Olympics Participation
  • APSC Person of the Week
  • Ferguson
    • Follow up
  • ECAASU