12/7/14 Board Meeting

APSC XXI Board Meeting Agenda Sunday, December 7, 2014. 5:00pm EST.

Rodin 104

When are your finals?

Updates

Chair

    • 5B: SFS Advisory Board Recap
      • Constitution that 5B wanted will be amended next semester
    • SFS Advisory Board rep?
      • Need a representative from APSC for next term

 

  • TD for Jin: Send out Advisory Board Constitution

 

    • 5B: Low income/first gen initiative
      • In the works, more meetings to come
      • Meeting with consultants Monday 12/8 at 8:30am
    • 5B: SFS Consultants

 

  • TD for Jin: Breakfast at 8:30 AM

 

    • ASAM
    • 5B Transition Meeting

 

  • TD for Jin: Email new 5B chairs and set up regular meeting time

 

    • Individual 5B Leader Meetings

 

  • TD for Jin: Set up coffee dates with the new 5B chairs

 

 

Vice Chair

    • Board Secret Santa
      • Don’t forget!

 

  • TD for Jennie: Reminder email over winter break

 

    • Board Social
      • Brunch on Saturday, 10AM, @Sabrina’s
    • APSC History
      • Compiled Google doc with APSC related articles in the DP

 

  • TD for Jennie: Share doc with board

 

    • One-on-one meetings with current board members
    • FYI
      • No meeting this week
    • All board database
      • Valerie provided 2 contacts, emailed
    • Board Gear
      • Zip-ups! Wee!

 

  • TD for Jennie: Contact Matt about Board Gear

 

    • Winter Break Skype Session

 

  • TD for Jennie: Send out When2Meet for Winter Break Skype Session

 

 

Political

    • UA Steering Recap
    • University Council Seat
      • Need rep from APSC to go to monthly meetings - Wednesday 4-6pm
      • Must be same person each time

 

  • TD for Jin: Set Albert up with Joseph
  • TD for Albert: Talk to Mithin about what to do at UC meetings

 

    • Data Disaggregation - Admissions Meeting

 

  • TD for Albert: Follow up with administration for date

 

  • 5B: CDUS restructuring
    • Trying to create some sort of course evaluation in hopes of identifying what is wrong with the courses and how it’s not fulfilling the requirement
    • Next meeting next week

 

Constituent

  • APSC Dollars
  • Lunch w/ a Senior
    • No new responses
  • Constituent Board Mixers
    • Waiting until boards finish transitioning
  • Figuring out Board transitions
    • Contact them next semester
  • Presidents dinner
    • Wednesday @ 6-9pm in Chinatown
  • Secret Santa - Marketing for it

 

Finance

    • T-Change/ICF/Penn Traditions
      • T-Change fully funded Kwanzaa dinner
    • Upcoming Funding Applications
    • Budget Analysis
      • ~ $3700 for next semester

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Figure out discrepancy for budget
  • TD for Lawrence: Set up meetings with board

 

    • Corporate Sponsorship
      • Met with CSSAP
    • 5B: sexual violence task force
      • A focus group is in the works to discuss how the problem should be addressed
    • ITASA
      • Wanted to know if they could apply for funding from APSC

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Email ITASA

 

 

External

  • APSC wide arts show
    • Contact culture performance groups over winter break and see if they would be interested in the cultural show
    • Formal vs informal?
  • Asian Arts Initiative
    • Get involved next semester
  • Lunar New Year Celebration at South Philly High School
    • Direct them to VSA?

 

Communications

  • Social Media
    • new board spotlights, new ideas: constituent group highlights
    • TD for Lisa: annual report formatting

 

  • TD for Lisa: Contact Amanda about newsletter going to spam

 

 

  • TD for Everyone: Find the photo that you like best and comment it, I will use it for spotlights and the website

 

    • Website
      • Update links and get rid of useless stuff
    • Flyer for Secret Santa

 

  • TD for Lisa: Email constituent groups about including Secret Santa in their newsletters
  • TD for Brandon: Send Lisa all information that must go on flyers

 

 

Discussion

    • Next board meeting (possibly shorter?)
      • Tentatively decided on Sunday the 14th 5-7pm
    • GBM Recap + Feedback
      • What worked? What didn’t? What should we change?
        • Keep time restraints, but need to be more strict about it
        • Figure out the best place that the person timing should stand
        • Enforce rules of GBM so people are more attentive
        • Consider new ways to change funding app process
          • MUST enforce time restraints
          • Lawrence can start reaching out applicants beforehand
          • Learn from NEC
        • Good feedback on Ferguson discussion
        • Jin- be more assertive and more clear about the procedures
      • Attendance - institute strikes?
        • Half a strike if you are more than 10 min late
    • ALPS Feedback
      • Need to stress the point that their group brings a new perspective to APSC
        • International student engagement
      • Prep more
      • Lack of South Asian representation
      • Reach out to constituent groups maybep

 

  • TD for Jin: Reply to ALPS with this feedback

 

    • APSC Dollars
      • Winner: PTS
      • $100 set aside in budget
      • Cook/bake/cash prize/a combination?
        • Finals care package & Trophy (after break)

 

  • TD for Brandon: Figure out all the care package stuff

 

    • Constituent Secret Santa
      • Date? January 15th in PAACH
      • Marketing - TD for Everyone: INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS
      • Tell constituents to send out announcement in their own newsletters (if they have)
    • Kanad + Tim
      • Concerned that there is a big divide between APSC and other minority groups
        • Wants APSC to use Ferguson as a starting point to start bridging this relationship
        • End goal is to have a huge discussion on race in America
        • Take initiative to encourage API’s to care

 

  • TD for Everyone: Think about this initiative and possibly reaching out to other one-on-one and get back to Jin about it

 

    • Penn Lens Collab
    • Active Minds Collab
      • Speaker event for Mental Wellness week: Kevin Briggs - end of March/beg. of April

 

  • TD for Lawrence: Follow up with Amanda telling her that we are on board

 

    • QPoC Collab
      • “The Week” - Lambda wants to collab with APSC to bring in a speaker- Kay Barrett

 

  • TD for Jin: Go to Kay Barrett meeting

 

    • 15 Year Anniversary Event Planning with PEER
    • CAPE Liaison
    • Freshmen Liaisons for Spring 2015
    • FYI
    • Corporate sponsorship
      • Met with CSSAP who has gotten sponsorships from local places in the past to fund 30+ events each year
        • Recently started acquiring year-long sponsorships locally and internationally
      • ITASA, WAX have corporate sponsors
      • Valuable if we have a large event
      • Develop long term relationships with other advocacy organizations
      • TD for Jin and Lawrence: Create a proposition that we can use to approach possible sponsors
    • Why #BlackLivesMatter
      • Event tomorrow 10 - 4 outside of ARCH
      • Write down why you believe black lives matter -everyone go!

 

  • TD for Everyone: Go!

 

  • The State of API Students in Higher Education
    • Tuesday, 4pm @ Terrace Room in Claudia Cohen Hall
  • What do you want to work on over winter break?
    • Think about any big projects that you guys want to work on